Eclipse Console

Hi to all :)

Is it somehow possible to show the eclipse console along with the knime console for debugging?
Havent quite figured out how to do that...

Cheers, Fabian

Doesn't the eclipse console still show in your eclipse application and the KNIME one in the running KNIME debug application? 

If you mean in the actual running application you can start in from the command line something like knime.exe -consolelog should give you a java console window as well as KNIME.

how do you mean "in my eclipse application"?

I don't have eclipse running... Well as knime is upon eclipse technically it runs in the background, but I can't see it, if that's what you mean.
I program my nodes in the KNIME IDE and therefore do not really see eclipse; just KNIME...
Am I missing something?

The KNIME SDK should be eclipse with some extra plugins/features installed. 

I use a plain eclipse and set a target platform then install the SDK components to ge tthe new node wizard. It looks like this (I've removed the projects and SVN repos):

Does yours not?

Anyway to try to better understand your question. Are you wanting to see the consoles in your development or execution environment? 

(I just checked the knime.exe -consolelog at it doesn't appear to be working on KNIME 3.3 for me)

Until now, I used it like this:
I clicked on File > New > KNIME > create new KNIME node extension
Then did all the settings and started coding; But it still looks like KNIME with a code editor for the  main windo

I have not tried anything diffrent yet. But the window you are working with looks a little better than mine...
Would it work with NetBeans too?
Also: How would I install the SDK components?

As I was developing in this window, I wanted to have a java console in th eexecution environment (which was the standard KNIME platform (I exported the node and installed it in KNIME, restarting KNIME as I did so, and then looked at the result); but as it is the wrong window/application/workflow, that point has moved now...

No that didn't work, I tried it either.

Ah, no this is now you should be making nodes. 

https://www.knime.org/downloads/overview <-- you will find an SDK installer/archive here. Download this and it will give you an eclipse with the KNIME SDK installed. 

Guidelines here: https://tech.knime.org/developers 

Alternatively download a clean eclipse neon, add the KNIME update site and install the SDK and testing comoponents like you would other KNIME plugins as the guidelines suggest but this is more complicated.

When you want to debug your node you don't need to export it. Click the debug icon (the green bug):

This will then run KNIME in a new window and you can put breakpoints on your code, step through and see the console output. 

You may be about to use NetBeans but I would assume it would be complicated to do so. 

Cheers

Sam

Even better, select "Run a product" and select the "KNIME_PRODUCT" instead of the application. This also gives you the correct splash screen ;-)

Also got some questions about the run mode of KNIME in Eclipse, how to understand this exception??

ERROR InductiveMiner 0:2 Execute failed: (“NullPointerException”): null

and also the same information is shown at Eclipse. My questions are,
<1> how can I locate the error code line in Eclipse?? Or simply can Eclipse show the code line??
<2> how to understand the 0:2 meaning??

Regards Kefang

Also, I find it quite difficult to debug the codes of KNIME in Eclipse. If I want to go to breakpoint, I need to skip so many classes at first to reach that point. Is there anyway to speed it up??

Regards
Kefang

Hi @KFDing,

The 0:2 indicates the id of the node within the workflow, it is the second node on the topmost level.

In recent eclipse versions you can dedicate breakpoints as a trigger point: see here. Just set such a breakpoint at the beginning of your execute method and the exception breakpoint should only trigger within your node.

best,
Gabriel

Thank you @gab1one , I will try the trigger point at first and see if it is what I expect.

Hi, gab1one
I followed the instruction under the link https://github.com/KNIME/knime-sdk-setup to install the eclipse for KNIME. but when I install Knime node wizard, I get a followed error message.

Duplicate of Knime Development