Example for Call Remote Workflow (Table Based) on server?

Hi,

are there any example workflows for using the Table Based Call Remote Workflow nodes with the server? I have a workflow on the server I want to call, but when I try to configure the node, I get a message to say that the node ā€œCould not locate any of the required nodes (read node description) on the server. Please check that the necessary nodes are installedā€

I have tested the workflow locally and it works fine, so as far as I can see it has the correct nodes - what am I missing/doing wrong?

Any advice/assistance greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Lisa

Hi!

How does your advanced settings look like?

Here is a node description with Example workflow at the end :wink:

Br,
Ivan

Thanks, Ivan. The Call Remote Workflow node wonā€™t let me apply any advanced settings - the dropdowns are greyed out as a result of the error message. Iā€™ve tried to test the process again using a simpler workflow on the server, but I get the same problem. Executes perfectly when saved locally, but says it canā€™t find the nodes when on the server. As far as I can see the server connection node is set up correctly, so Iā€™m stumped.

The workflow example linked at the nodepit site doesnā€™t have these nodes in it, unfortunately, so itā€™s not any help in this case.

best wishes
Lisa

Hi Lisa!

I see. I just tried it and works for me only I donā€™t have Server :slight_smile:

It is said the workflow path needs to be absolute. Is it in your case? As long as you have proper nodes in your calling workflow things should work correctly.

Br,
Ivan

Yeah, it works if I have the both workflows saved locally - itā€™s something to do with the server, I think. The container nodes are definitely in the workflow. The dialog box pre-populates a list of available workflows on the server, so the path should be correct. The connection to the server is working according to the test function in the connection node. Itā€™s weird.

Thanks Ivan!
Lisa

Hi Lisa!

You sure dialog box gives you absolute path? If not maybe there is your answerā€¦

One stupid question: Do you connect to the right server? :smiley:

Br,
Ivan

According to the help dialog, itā€™s the absolute path - if itā€™s not, thatā€™s a bug in the node setup. The node can find the workflows on the server, itā€™s just not recognizing the container nodes within them. And I only have one server :wink:

Cheers
Lisa

1 Like

Hi Lisa,

This is a new node, and it looks like we still need to do a bit of work on the documentation. I know that weā€™re planning to add a couple of other improvements to the node for the next release.

To use the node on the KNIME Server you actually have two options. You can explicitly setup a KNIME Server connection as you have done. That would be handy if you want to run a bunch of calculations locally, and then leverage server compute for part of the calculation. However, if you want to use the workflow on server, or analytics platform you can actually use a relative path like ā€¦/path/to/workflow that would be the same for the workflow locally as on the server.

It sounds like there might be something funny going on. Are you able to share the simple workflow with me. Also helpful is the KNIME Server version and the KNIME AP version.

Best,

Jon

I tried my best :slight_smile:
Good luck,
Ivan

1 Like

Thanks for the tips Ivan!

1 Like

Thanks, Ivan, I appreciate your help!

2 Likes

You are welcome :slight_smile:
Ivan

2 Likes

Hi Jon,

Sure thing, workflows are attached. The versions are 3.6 for AP and 4.6.1 for the Server. Thanks for taking a look.

Cheers
Lisa
Server call workflow test.knwf (13.7 KB)
Call to server test.knwf (8.9 KB)

Hi Lisa,

Iā€™ve just been reproducing that behaviour on my KNIME Server. The issue stems from the version of the server that you are using. KNIME Server 4.6.x uses the 3.5 executor. AP 3.5 and the corresponding executor do not contain the relevant nodes (Container Input (Table) and Container Output (Table)). Thatā€™s because we only released those nodes with AP 3.6. That means that youā€™d need to update to KNIME Server 4.7.x to test the functionality. Iā€™ve opened a ticket to see if we can improve the error message.

Best,

Jon

2 Likes

Hi Jon,

Ah, OK, thanks for checking for me - is the 4.7 version of the server available on AWS yet?

Thanks!
Lisa

The AWS version will be published in the next few weeks. Weā€™re waiting for the AP 3.6.1 release, and will also add in a couple of performance fixes for the KNIME Server that weā€™re currently verifying.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks for your help, Jon!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.