Any way to report Java heap size?

Hi folks,
I am using the Image Reader node to read a 2gb .lif file into KNIME. I have the line “-Xmx12g” in my knime.ini, allotting 12 of the system’s 16gb of ram to the heap. When I execute the Image Reader node, I almost immediately get the error
“ERROR Image Reader 0:1 Execute failed: Java heap space”

top never reports more than 15% of memory used- 2.4gb. I strongly suspect the knime.ini line isn’t actually working to increase heap space. Is there some way I can get KNIME to report heap size? Is there some reason why the ini line would not be working? Thanks!!

Hi @mattocks,
you can show the heap status with the following setting:

best,
Gabriel

1 Like

Thanks Gabriel! Missed that setting in preferences. For some reason the .ini memory setting doesn’t take when I launch KNIME from its locked icon on the Ubuntu launcher/taskbar (Ubuntu 16.04), but it works fine when I start it from its directory. Strange! Thanks again for the help.

Best
Mike

You can access it from the Memory use node in the Vernalis plugin see https://nodepit.com/node/com.vernalis.knime.perfmon.nodes.memoryuse.MemoryUsageNodeFactory, or during course of node execution using the benchmark loop nodes also from Vernalis.

Steve

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.