Date filtering

Hi, I have a date column consisting for date in the following format:
9999-12-31
9999-12-31
2018-11-16
2018-11-16
2018-11-16
Knime recognises it as a Date and Time datatype, however, whenever I use any Date&Time node, lie the Date&Time to String, the column is not available for use in the nodes. The column is only date and has not time component to it. Anyone help?

Actually found a way which is kind of counter intuitive:
Take the column of type Date and Time and use the String to Date&Time and select the appropriate format. Then this converts into a “Local Date” which is a funny data type since I’m only getting the date part from a column which is “already only a date”. From here on, I can then manipulate the column as a date. Would be interested in what people think or whether a better way exists

Hi there,

not sure I understand. If the column is Date&Time type in KNIME it should be available in Date&Time to String node. Can you send an example workflow where it is not available?

Br,
Ivan

2 Likes

Hi,

What I can guess from all the information you have provided is that you are reading a dataset which has a date column with this format:yyyy-MM-dd but the column is read as a string column type and you are using Column Auto Type Cast or String to Date/Time (legacy) nodes to change the type to Date&Time which in this case is actually Legacy Date&Time and you cannot pass it to the nodes that work with the regular Date&Time type as the input. Then you are using String to Date&Time which converts the column type to the regular Date&Time type.

That’s just a guess. Maybe I’m missing something.

:blush:

3 Likes

HI there,

as @armingrudd notice you probably have legacy Date&Time column type thus any new Date&Time node won’t recognize it.

Here is a nice blog post about new Date&Time Integration nodes. Maybe not so new anymore :slight_smile:https://www.knime.com/blog/the-new-date-time-integration

Br,
Ivan

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.