4.0 update and Heap Space

@hafidz , @quaeler
If you read the reply by @Mark_Ortmann I think he is saying that what shows up as the MAX is what the JVM has currently expanded to and not the max you have specified in your .ini file. In 3.7.2 the Max shown after startup is less than my -Xmx value.

i dunno - iā€™ve seen it maybe a couple hundred under Xmx in the heap monitor, but never (12000-512) below like the OP is seeing. just launching into 4.0.0, i see my max spec as defined:

Did u reproduced my problem?jvm

No, i did not. And now that you show me this panel that has nothing to do with KNIME, iā€™m a little concerned that iā€™m not understanding what youā€™re doing. Whatā€™s this screenshot supposed to demonstrate?

@acommons
The max shown in 4.0 should coincide with the max specified in your knime.ini. The value after the word of shown when starting KNIME corresponds to the -Xms (the initial heap space value). If KNIME needs more Heap space this value will increase up to specified -Xmx value.

@hafidz
Did changing -Xmx work with 3.7.2? Does removing -XX:+UseG1GC solve your problem? Did you make any changes to the knime.ini after installing 4.0 from scratch?

Total memory reduced from 512M to 500M when i removed the line -XX:+UseG1GC.

Goes back to 512M when i added back the line.

So, I guess something, somewhere, thereā€™s a hard code on this.

Basically, I did not make any changes other than reinstalling some of the repository.

@hafidz,

could you please confirm that with 3.7.2 you did not see this problem?

I found the cause, thereā€™s a statement at windows system / user environment that I did not put: _JAVA_OPTIONS -Xms512M.

Removing this clear the way. Thanks for everyoneā€™s help. Iā€™m not sure what program put that statement and when does it occur in the first place.

2 Likes

@hafidz,

happy to hear that.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.