Add password in knime on excel file output

Hi everyone ,
I was wondering can I put password in knime on excel files? I have knime model output in excel format that consist of 120 files and I need to lock them all .

Big thanks in advantage

Hi there,

you would like to lock Excel file from within KNIME? Pretty sure that can not be done with Excel Writer/Appender nodes. If there is a way to lock/protect Excel file from outside of Excel file External Tool nodecould do the trick.

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

There are limited ways to protect an Excel file using the Python package [ openpyxl](https://openpyxl.readthedocs.io/en/stable/protection.html). But it would only offer protection from some changes (not from opening the file) and the password would be stored hashed - so no real hurdle there.

In general I think most password protections for Office files are more there to prevent accidental editing to keep a fixed structure - but they are insufficient for real protection.

Please test the Code first. On a Mac I encountered some problems with the sample files handled thru the Python code, although it did work. So before encoding all your files test it with a copy and always use backups.

kn_example_python_excel_password_protection.knwf (29.1 KB)

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.