Alteryx Designer to Knime

I read through the eBook From Alteryx to Knime. It was a good starting point but I still have questions. Would love to have a group of former Alteryx users to ask migration questions of. How do we create such a community group (assuming one doesn’t already exist). I’m build a doc of tools I commonly use and am trying to find the equivalents in Knime.

6 Likes

Here is a shared google sheet expanding on the eBook From Alteryx to Knime. Let’s crowd source this and update the Knime tools that would be used to replicate the same functionality.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ecvnm5f-kDhu45CwlQrqmAdct7fyrAHimgUIqP1fxGc/edit?usp=sharing

16 Likes

Hello @DemandEngineer ,

welcome to KNIME Community! Nice initiative and hope former Alteryx users will answer it.

Adding link to guide for new users: https://www.knime.com/knimepress/download-from-alteryx-to-knime

Changed category to one which seems more appropriate.

Suggestion: Add links to KNIME nodes on KNIME Hub.

Br,
Ivan

3 Likes

Hi @DemandEngineer -

Welcome to the forum! This is a really interesting spreadsheet and I’m glad you took the time to put it together. I hope we can build a critical mass and expand on what you’ve begun here. :+1:

3 Likes

Great suggestion! I was thinking along the same lines.

Can change the tool name to a hyperlink to the Knime Hub page for the tool.

Can also link the Designer Tool name to the tool page as well… starting to think this will be better as a web page as I can use link checking tools to detect when a link is broke because the page moved.

I think I’m getting ahead of myself… maybe that can be phase 2 after this gets filled in some more.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome. Could one of you try to make an edit… maybe make one of the knime tools link to knime hub. I just want to make sure you all can access the sheet and edit it.

Hi Ivan, doing a google search I noticed there are some older post about alteryx that are now locked… I guess I can’t post to those to let them know about this spreadsheet. But I was thinking is there way to Direct message or mention some of those users so they can be aware of this spreadsheet and try to enlist their help?

It works - I’m able to edit it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Help with Analysis Process Overview

Hello @DemandEngineer,

Sure. That is a good idea. Just tag them like I tag you → @DemandEngineer

Moved your last post to new topic to get more visibility and to keep this topic and forum tidy.

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Hi Guys ( @Domingos_SN @Mercurius @DSL24 @Yush @gwhall6 ),

I see you all have used Alteryx as well. I have started putting together a translation matrix of sorts in the spreadsheet in this thread. Hope it will be useful to you and you can help update the shared sheet.

Feel free to share with others that might want to help update.

Thanks in advance.

6 Likes

@DemandEngineer This is fantastic! As a former Alteryx user myself, I found this super useful. Thank you for putting this together!

Cheers,
Haystack

5 Likes

Thanks @Haystack … I started it mainly for myself but thought maybe there are others in the same boat.

Please help update it.

2 Likes

Hi @DemandEngineer

I used Alteryx Designer/Server for 2.5 years exclusively, I loved it so much and was gutted to let it go, I then needed my fix as I took a huge step backwards as far as I was concerned and Alteryx wasn’t an option, I then started to use KNIME. I knew about it while using Alteryx but wrote it off every time. It was different but not unfamiliar and I soon quickly grew to appreciate the power of KNIME and quickly fell in love with it too. So much more powerful and flexible in my opinion. I’m now in a crazy position where I’m using both… but now my heart belongs to KNIME, Alteryx is still great but I find myself thinking I wish Alteryx could do this like KNIME, more than the other way around, don’t get me wrong they both are better/easier at certain tasks but KNIME has it over Alteryx for me.

A few big reasons (maybe more but my mind isn’t playing ball) -

Variables
Loops
Parsing (xPath / JSON Path)

I haven’t used KNIME server and not currently using Alteryx server so I’m missing the automation and cannot comment on KNIME server.

Matt

7 Likes

Thanks so much for your insight Matt. If you can help please do update the tool mapping/translation matrix. That way if someone is looking for the right node to use and they can only think of the Alteryx tool they can find it with the spreadsheet. it can also work the other way… but I think I maybe need to clean up and reorganize it to make that experience optimal.

Don’t have time right now but will try to update the Alteryx tools with links to the help page… like I did with some of the Knime Nodes.

You can find the doc here:

2 Likes

Hi Guys, (@rishi @FabioGuimaraes @prescient)

I see you all have used Alteryx as well. I have started putting together a translation matrix of sorts in the spreadsheet in this thread. Hope it will be useful to you and you can help update the shared sheet.

1 Like

Hi, it looks like you all have Alteryx background.

Here is a shared google sheet expanding on the eBook From Alteryx to Knime. Let’s crowd source this and update the Knime tools that would be used to replicate the same functionality.

@adnivara, @analytics_sharma, @athacker, @Auzzie99, @CEbersbach, @daniel_yi, @DvdFrcK, @etorres, @flumpet31, @gcarmich

@Groumayo, @hdelfis-crf, @Keydet99, @kulrari, @kvn0026, @leandro_tonin, @metaresolve, @MJRIOUX, @Momdog598a, @Nagaraja_Ganiga

1 Like

@Neil_Powling, @neiloxford, @nooby, @Polestar01, @rafaelfre, @Ranalytics, @RPattela, @sbrasfield, @supersharp, @sw1336

@t2jr0385, @thunderbolt983, @Tyler, @WMcClure, @wpaschal, @YetAnotherOne, @Yovel, @Yush

1 Like