Amazon Authenticator error couldn't connect

Hi all,
I am new to Knime, I am trying to authenticate into my Amazon account using the Amazon Authenticator node using my AWS credentials but it does not work.
I am new to knime and wanted to test it out connecting data on Athena but this is proving to be difficult. I have just updated the Analytical Platform to version 5.0.1 and the below is from the logs

2023-06-26 23:27:33,613 : WARN  : SwingWorker-pool-9-thread-2 :  : TestConnectionDialog$TestWorker : Amazon Authenticator : 3:2 : Couldn't connect
org.knime.core.node.InvalidSettingsException: Check your Access Key ID / Secret Key.
	at org.knime.cloud.aws.s3.filehandler.S3Connection.open(S3Connection.java:81)
	at org.knime.base.filehandling.remote.files.RemoteFile.open(RemoteFile.java:126)
	at org.knime.base.filehandling.remote.files.RemoteFileFactory.createRemoteFile(RemoteFileFactory.java:137)
	at org.knime.base.filehandling.remote.connectioninformation.node.TestConnectionDialog$TestWorker.doInBackgroundWithContext(TestConnectionDialog.java:234)
	at org.knime.base.filehandling.remote.connectioninformation.node.TestConnectionDialog$TestWorker.doInBackgroundWithContext(TestConnectionDialog.java:1)
	at org.knime.core.util.SwingWorkerWithContext.doInBackground(SwingWorkerWithContext.java:106)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Could you please point me to the right direction here?

Thank you in advance

Hi,
Welcome to the KNIME Forum! The error message says “Check your Access Key ID / Secret Key.” Are you 100% sure that what you have entered are the correct credentials? Looking at our source code, I see that this error is only raised when AWS sends back an error code that says “InvalidAccessKeyId”, so I think you either have a typo in there, or maybe a space at the beginning or end that should not be there.
Kind regards,
Alexander

Thanks @AlexanderFillbrunn for getting back to me, I have used exactly the same credentials (copy/past) to log onto other tools with no error … is there anything else I could try ? could it be permission?

Hi,
I do not think so. InvalidAccessKeyId is a pretty specific error message and if it where permissions a 403 error code should be sent back.
Kind regards,
Alexander

Do you have any advice /best practise tipps for firewalls and co in a company environment. Are there some specific configuration settings for KNIME to be aware of? (not only related to AWS)
thanks and br

Hi,
I know they are often necessary, but from experience I can say that proxies are the main culprit for a lot of network issues. There are cases where the proxy does not know certain hosts, proxies return HTTP error codes when some arcane combination of request size and destination IP is present, proxies need NTLM authentication, etc. So if you can at all, avoid proxies (I know, it is a big IF). If you do have one, make sure the settings under Preferences → General → Network Connections are correct.
Kind regards,
Alexander

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.