Asynchronous & Commandline Execution

Hi,

I've been working with workflow authoring tools form some time and just started to use KNIME and have been pleasantly surprised by its operation.

I do have a few questions but for now I limited myself to 2 ;)

1.Is there or has there been any discussion about integration of KNIME within a Beowulf type cluster ? Either running the whole work flow (need to execute as a command line or creating a plugin with nodes capable of interfacing to something like sun grid engine ?

2. Asynchronous execution, some of our flows can run for weeks, how can a KNIME workflow be run 'asynchronously' possible as a command line execution on a server ??

Thanks B

bsw05 wrote:
1.Is there or has there been any discussion about integration of KNIME within a Beowulf type cluster ? Either running the whole work flow (need to execute as a command line or creating a plugin with nodes capable of interfacing to something like sun grid engine ?

We are currently working on a KNIME extension that allows execution of nodes or subworkflows in a cluster. However, this will likely not be available in the open source version in the near future. We are also thinking about adding support for Grids, but that is currentl only a plan.

bsw05 wrote:
2. Asynchronous execution, some of our flows can run for weeks, how can a KNIME workflow be run 'asynchronously' possible as a command line execution on a server ??

You can use the BatchExecutor (http://www.knime.org/faq.html#g12) to run KNIME without a GUI and submit a job to the cluster.

Hi B!

there has been a discussion about grid support for KNIME. It is on the list of our commercial products around the open-source KNIME platform. It is currently under development. If you need earlier access or have special requirements, contact us and we can talk about a project with you.

[... deleted stuff about batch executor, as Thorsten was faster than me...]

I hope this helps, now you can send over question 3 and 4... :)
- Peter.