Auto-Align Functionality Bug?

Hi,

I want to know if there is a possibility to edit the Auto-Align functionality in KNIME.

I would expect to be the nodes here:

to be aligned something like this: In a horizontal line with equal distances, but the distances so large that one ca read the texts below.

Instead, what i get is this:

The texts are overlapping. Sometimes one cannot even access the port of the ‘hidden’ node, behind the containing rectangle of the hiding node.

If there’s no solution please push this so the KNIME developers rework this. I think it would help everyone.

Best wishes
Markus

5 Likes

Hi @uie63112 and welcome to the community!

I feel you there - this can be quite a nuisance sometimes (ticket created, internal reference: AP-17797). As a workaround, what I usually do is putting newlines into the Node descriptions, so they become narrower.

Best, Lukas

5 Likes

@LukasS you could add 1+ for me. I really like to use the auto-align function as well as the description underneath the nodes, so I would very much like to have this feature.

3 Likes

Done! (apparently a post must be 20 characters, thus please ignore everything in these brackets)

1 Like

Hi @LukasS +1 for me too (I think that makes at least 20 characters) You can add some Emoji that takes some characters too :slight_smile:

EDIT: It looks like this issue is not about giving space to the node description. It also does not consider the length of the node name itself:
Before:

After:

2 Likes

@LukasS thanks for working on it, I really appreciate it!

I had the same problem as @mlauber71 too for long custom meta node descriptions.

By the way, if you’re already working on it - I would love to be able to press Enter to Finalize the node description instead of creating a new line. To create a new line, something link Alt + Enter would be suitable. For sure I don’t have everyone with me on this topic, but maybe you can make this adjustable!

Best wishes
Markus

1 Like

Hi Markus,

@bruno29a +1 added - good idea to use smileys :wink:

@uie63112 You can use Strg+Enter for getting out of the Node description editor (and F2 to edit it again) :slight_smile: Some of these settings you can change in File → Preferences → General → Keys

Best, Lukas

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.