Breakpoint node makes the workflow fail if it’s placed in an inactive branch

Dear KNIMErs,
I encountered an odd case using the Breakpoint node. I’m using the Breakpoint node stopping the workflow if a certain flow variable matches predetermined value. The node works well in general but when it is inside a wrapped metanode whose branch is inactive (and so the node should not intervene at all) it brakes the flow telling that the flow variable is not available. In contrast I would expect that, if the branch where the Breakpoint is placed is inactive, it does not act at all.

I reproduced the problem in a minimal workflow attached here. There you can see that if the “selected case” is the first, the workflow fails, although the Breakpoint node should not intervene here as it is placed in the second case branch that it’s disabled.

Can anybody explain why this happen? Can you suggest a workaround?

Thank you in advance,
Gio

breakpoint_node_problem.knwf (32.6 KB)

Hi @gcincilla,

It appears that this is a bug, thank you for reporting that!

I was able to reproduce this - the Breakpoint node for some reason stays active, even if in an otherwise inactive branch. Its output is not x’ed out, which it certainly should be.

I will open a ticket so that our developers will work on a fix. I’ll keep you posted on any news here.

Cheers,
Roland

2 Likes

Very good Roland. I’m glad to know that this the reporting was useful.
Thanks for posting related news about the fix here.
Cheers,
Gio

3 Likes

The fix will be available in tomorrow’s nightly build or in the next feature release (planned end of the month/early July).

2 Likes

That’s a good news! Thank you very much for the fix and for updating this post.
Cheers,
Gio

1 Like

In this new post @Claire mentioned that this problem still persists on KNIME Analytics 4.2.2. Unfortunately I still didn’t test it as I’m running version 4.1.1.
@Claire, can you please confirm whether the workflow I uploaded in my first comment still has problem in KNIME Analytics 4.2.2?

Hi,

Your workflow works under 4.2.2 / Server 4.11.2.

Regards,
Claire

Hi @gcincilla

I have the same issue.

The issue is related to a flow variable which is used in the breakpoint node to override the existing value. In fact, I compare the value of a flow variable against the value of another one.

I modified your workflow by adding my component which raises this issue.

Please find it in attachment.

By the way, I found another issue, related to the component output node.

If the component is disabled, we cannot override the component output node using a flow variable.

Regards,

Joel

breakpoint_node_problem_upd.knwf (58.5 KB)

1 Like

Hi @joel

which KNIME (Server) version are you on? 4.2.2 and Server 4.11.2?

Best, Alice

Hi @gcincilla

the workflow you posted worked for me on 4.2.3 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Alice_Krebs

Yes I am using Analytic platform 4.2.2 and server 4.11.2.

Best,
Joe

Hi @joel @Claire

I can reproduce the error, that’s a bug. A ticket is opened for that.

Joel: could you give me a bit more information about the overriding the component output issue you are facing? Happy to look into that. Maybe you can open a new thread for that and tag me there, this thread is getting a bit messy otherwise :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot!
Best, Alice

2 Likes

Hi @Alice_Krebs

Thanks for your reply.
Ok I will create a new thread regarding this issue.

Joel

@Alice_Krebs

The new thread is Component output issue

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.