Bug Column Splitter/Filter with Flowvariables defining exclude/include lists

Dear Knimler,
with the latest KNIME releases (4.1.1 and 4.1.2) I got some problem with the ‘Coluimn Filter’ and ‘Column Splitter’ nodes when trying to define the exclude/include lists via Flowvariables as the field array/list below the e.g. ‘excluded_names’ node (in the Flowvariable menu) does not appear anymore!

The funny thing is: In WFs I created with older versions this list still appears when executing under 4.1.2 - but when I take e.g. a new Splitter Column node and try to go for the same settings this is list not shown/presented anymore.

So obviously the functionality is still available, but is NOT presented in the UI/menu anymore.
The workaround with ‘Reference Column Filter/Splitter’ nodes is somehow cumbersome - so hopefully you can provide a fix soon.

Best
Erich

Hi @Erich_Gstrein,

On Windows I don’t have this issue. While waiting for a KNIME team member to check this issue, I have a tip for you which may solve this.

Sometimes after a few hours of working with KNIME, I have experienced some issues with configuration windows in displaying options. For me resizing the configuration window works, maybe it does for you as well.

:blush:

Hi there @Erich_Gstrein,

not sure I understand what is the problem with newly added Column Filter/Splitter nodes. You are not seeing some options? This is how my Flow Variables tab looks like:

ColumnFilterFlowVar

Can you share your printscreen?

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Hi Ivan,
Yes, I can see this options - but nothing more and this is my problem!!
To define the e.g. ‘excluded_names’ Columns, in earlier versions you got one String Editline per column in the excluded area - you had to definein advance in the ‘Column Filter’ dialog. see jpg attached!

Best
Erich

Hi @Erich_Gstrein,

this changed with version 4.1 and what you see is just enough :smiley:

This post should clarify confusion:

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Hi Ivan
thx for clarification:)
Unfortunately, these new Flowvariable types (e.g. arrays) introduced with 4.1 are not available in the ‘Java Edit Variable’, ‘Java Snippet’. etc. nodes.

My Challange: I’ve created a couple of nodes (components) for AutoML where I have to know (amongst others) the name of the class-column (the attribute storing the lable to be learned). As I’m applying these nodes on different data sets, I used a ‘Java EDit Variable’ node for all of these settings. So I created a variable ‘nameOfClassColumn’ containing the name of the specific attribute.

My Problem: The improvements introduced with 4.1 obviously caused the ‘deactivation’ of the older way-of-working without providing sufficient support - at least for my situation. Now I’m forced to use a couple of nodes to get a simple String-Array as a Flowvariable.
Sample: If I want to filter out (exclude) the column of a table which’s name is stored in the variable ‘classColumnName’ I have to:

1.Create a table with one String array column (e.g. Java Snippet)
2. Use the Table-Row-To Variable to Convert the array-column into a array flowvariable
3. Use this new Flow variable in the Column Filter node

Knowing that in some cases step 1 requires more than 1 node this process is somehow cumbersome.

However, I would appreciate very much that the ‘Java Snippet’, ‘Javav Edit …’, etc nodes are extended so that the new Flowvariable types can be used too!

So I would like to post a feature request!

Thanks!
Erich

1 Like

Hi there @Erich_Gstrein,

ok. I see and agree with you. Just a question to better understand your process. How do you create your flow variable ‘nameOfClassColumn’?

Actually there is already a ticket in system (internal reference: AP-13372) for Java nodes to support new flow variable types. Have added +1 to it for you.

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Hi Ivan,
Thx for pushing the ticket +1 step further:)
As I‘m used to JAVA I like to create flow variables via the Java nodes, such as ‚Java Snippet‘, ‚Java Edit Variable‘, etc.

Best
Erich

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.