BUG in the Create Bit Vector node?

Dear KNIMErs,

I'm experiencing a very odd behavior with the Create Bit Vector node for which I would like you to confirm whether it is a bug.

If I enable the creation of a bit vector from multiple columns the position of bit in the input and output table does not correspond. More specifically it correspond only if a subset of input table columns are manually selected. While if all the columns of the input table are manually selected (or through regex) the bit position does not correspond. I suspect that the bit positions are inverted.

For example in the attached workflow the fist bit of row MDN21340 should be set as but it is not on output table. Similarly bits in position 12th and 13th of row MDN21325 should not be set as 1, but they are.

Could you please confirm whether it is a bug? I'm using KNIME 3.3.1.

Thank you in advance,

Gio

Hi Gio,

Thank you for reporting this!

It appears that the issue is with how the bit vector is rendered in the table view rather than with the bit vector itself.

If you change the renderer to "Set Bits", you will see that the position of the set bits corresponds to their position in the input table. You can do this by right clicking the column name in the table view.

Therefore, you should be able to use the bit vectors normally, even though they are not displayed correctly.

In any case, I have opened a bug report, our developers will take care of this.

Cheers,

Roland

Hi Gio,

Quick correction: this is not a bug, but intended behavior, sorry for the confusion.

This is a question of whether the least or the most significant bit indicates the smallest-index number. In this case, counting starts on the right.

Cheers,

Roland

Hi Roland,

Thank you for the reassuring explanation and for taking care to open a bug. I'm happy to know that it is just a visualization bug!

Best,

Gio