Can't Download KNIME Extensions

When I try to download Extensions, specifically the Python Scripting Node, it won’t allow me to download any nodes at all, saying this:

Artifact not found: http://update.knime.com/community-contributions/4.1/content.jar.
Artifact not found: http://update.knime.com/community-contributions/4.1/content.jar.
http://update.knime.com/community-contributions/4.1/content.jar

I’m having a lot of issues connecting to updates (which was due to fail because I’m using Max OS) but when it comes to downloading Nodes, it’s making using KNIME really difficult, do I would really appreciate some help with this.

Hi there @JavierJavier,

welcome to KNIME Community and hope I can help!

Can you install any other extension? If not are you behind firewall? If so check here what you can do to bypass it and successfully install any extension.

One way to download and install extension is using KNIME Hub. Simply use Drag icon from Extension page and Drop it into your workflow.

Also I share with you link to Python installation guide you may find useful once you add Python extension to your KNIME:
https://docs.knime.com/2019-12/python_installation_guide/index.html

If any questions/problems feel free to ask.

Br,
Ivan

Hi Ivan! Thanks for your help, as far as I know I’m not behind a firewall, and a couple of weeks ago I could perfectly download extensions, but it suddenly stopped working saying that all of the download links are not working, which means that I can’t install the Python extension. I had installed it in the past, but KNIME stopped working (not allowing me to download extensions), so I had to do a clean install and in this new install I still can’t download extensions, plus now I don’t even have one that I need, which is the Python one. I will give KNIME Hub a try, but I’d really like to solve the issue and be able to download the extensions so I can use them in my workflows. Is there a way to know if KNIME is being affected by a Firewall? I will also try to download the upload site as a Zip to try to install from it, but I’m not exactly sure how to install from it.

Hi @JavierJavier,

Have you maybe done some update to KNIME prior it stopped working? And which KNIME version are you currently running?

You should also check that you have correct update sites depending on your KNIME version and that they are enabled. See my preferences:

Regarding firewall - if you have business environment (business laptop) probably you are and if some changes were made you should check it with your IT. If on personal PC guess you don’t have it configured…

Regarding zip update sites - follow instruction here:
https://docs.knime.com/2019-12/analytics_platform_installation_guide/#_adding_local_update_sites

Check out above suggestions/options and hopefully you’ll find a way :wink:

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Hi there @JavierJavier,

did you have some success with Python extension installation?

Br,
Ivan

Hi Ivan, nope, I haven’t had any luck. I downloaded the Zip file and followed the instructions, but I get the same message: “Contacting Software Sites has encountered a problem. No repository found at (zip.file)”. I’ve tried changing names for it, but it won’t work I don’t know why.

I did it! Just as I was about to give up, I found out how to configure the install with the zip file, I had to unzip it and configure it not as “Archive” but “Local” using the unzipped folder. Thanks for your help and hopefully it will help someone else in the future :smiley:

1 Like

Hi there @JavierJavier,

glad you made it!

Br,
Ivan

Hi Ivan,
I seem to be experiencing similar problems. I tried downloading KNIME version 4.2.1, but then couldn’t access any of my workflows. Perhaps it’s related to this issue that I haven’t been able to resolve (JVM not found error when opening other workflows). I don’t want to continue uninstalling and re-installing.
So, I gave up on 4.2.1, re-installed KNIME version 4.1.4 (64-bit). I can now access my old workflows, but cannot install any extensions. I’m on a work laptop, haven’t needed to work around a firewall in the past, and even when I drag-and-drop nodes from Knime Hub, I get “could not find extensions that provide the missing nodes.”

Update: I managed to install the extensions.
Problem that I’m still experiencing: When I downloaded 4.2.1, Knime asked me to save in a different file path than the version that I was using. I installed 4.2.1 inside my previous Knime file, but couldn’t access my old files. I uninstalled 4.2.1 and reinstalled 4.1.4 (I believe this was the last version I was using), again in a different file path which the Knime installer required. In the below pic, the first KNIME folder is where I was previously working, the second KNIME folder is the 4.2.1 that I installed, and the last Knime folder is the 4.1.4 that I installed.

I can see all my workflows in my original folder. But when I click on any Knime files within these folders, I get the following Java virtual machine error, like I described in this post: JVM not found error when opening other workflows

The recommendation to uninstall and re-install never seems to solve things and only make things worse. Or am I re-installing in the incorrect file path? Should I re-install in my C:\Program Files\KNIME (where it seems to be looking for the virtual machine), instead of my C:\KNIME?

I somehow have access to my workflows because they’re still open in Knime, but aren’t located in my Local Workspace. I don’t know how I have access to these files, if I can’t open them up from my C:\KNIME file.

Please tell me that you have a solution for me… I cannot lose my old workflows and this is causing me actual headaches now. I love using Knime, but I’ve gotten my file paths mixed up.

1 Like

Hello @sclemente,

seems you really mixed up something here. From your print screens seems like your workspace is or used to be in your KNIME installation folder? If so I recommend to move it away from there. The default location is C:\Users\YourUserName\knime-workspace

I advise following steps to take:

1. Create backup of your workflows by copying your knime-workspace do different location (this is recommended to be done periodically anyways)
  2. Uninstall all KNIME versions (don’t delete your workspace/workflows when doing so)
  3. Download the latest KNIME version and install it
  4. When you’ll be opening KNIME for first time point your workspace to existing workspace location

Hopefully then you’ll have newest version with all your workflows available in KNIME Explorer.

Br,
Ivan

Hi Ivan,
I finally worked on solving my problem - your solution worked.
I had also tried installing Java Runtime (which I didn’t have), but that didn’t work. So the real solution was just to re-start by deleting everything and then re-installing.
Cheers,
SClemente

1 Like

Hello @sclemente,

glad to hear that :+1:

Br,
Ivan