Cellsinmemory

Working with a machine in Azure with 224GB RAM, I tried to increase the cells in memory, by adding -Dorg.knime.container.cellsinmemory=1000000000 as explained in the FAQ:

"Add the following line after the -vmargs line in the knime.ini file to keep at most 1000 cells in memory (you can choose a different value, even 0 in which case it always swaps to disk):   -Dorg.knime.container.cellsinmemory=1000 You can verify if this setting has been picked up by either looking at the log file or inspecting the tooltip that is shown when hovering over the "Keep only small tables in memory" option in any node."

But the tooltip always says:

"Tables with less than 0 cells are  kept in memory...".  And I don't see anything in the log. How can I see if the setting has been picked up? Is there a way to set "Keep all in memory" as a default in the KNIME Preferences?

Thanks,

Francesco

Hi,

(Nice machine!)

I just checked the code and I think the tooltip message is hard-coded (must have been introduced through some refactoring as the number (0) is still a variable, though a hard-coded one). I'll open a bug report and have it fixed.

You can verify your paramter by searching the log file for a message starting with "Setting max cell count to be held in memory to "; if you don't find it search for "Unable to parse property org.knime.container.cellsinmemory, using default".

There is currently no option to apply this globally through the preferences.

- Bernd

Dear Bernd,

I recently encountered the same issue. However, I cannot find anything regarding cell count in the log. Could you please verify, if in Knime 3.2.1 one of the two messages you mentioned are really logged?

Thanks!

Yes, found it:

2016-11-03 21:55:00,132 : DEBUG : KNIME-Worker-2 : DataContainer : File Reader : 0:237 : Setting max cell count to be held in memory to 12345

You might need to execute at least one node so that the corresponding code path gets executed.

(And this is the last line in the knime.ini: -Dorg.knime.container.cellsinmemory=12345)

I found a similar issue, but after updating knime.ini with '-Dorg.knime.container.cellsinmemory=1000000000' still uses 7.5MB RAM maximum.

And can't find 'Setting max cell count to be held in memory to...' in logs.

Any suggestions on why this is not working? thanks a lot!

Maybe we can close this one and can continue discussion in the parallel discussion thread.