Compatibility between KNIME Analytics Platform and KNIME Server

Hi Team,

Say, in my ‘KNIME Analytics Platform’, I want to execute a workflow residing in a KNIME Server and get the resultant table here.
So, I have a workflow with ‘KNIME Server Connection’, ‘List Remote Files’ and ‘Call Workflow’ nodes to achieve this. It all works fine.
Now, my question is, do I need to worry about any version compatibility between my ‘KNIME Analytics Platform’ and ‘KNIME Server+KNIME Executor’?

Thanks
Ravikiran

Hi Ravikiran,
you can find compatibility matrices for Server-Executor and Server-Analytics Platform Client combinations here. Generally, the executor on the server side should ideally be the same or at least a newer version compared to the client version. If you have a newer client than the executor, you may try to execute workflows on the server that use features not yet supported by the executor, which leads to failures.
Kind regards,
Alexander

3 Likes

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the clarification.
But from the ‘Server-Analytics Platform Client Compatibility Matrix’, I see that, for a Client version of 4.1, it shows green/compatible for a server version 4.4. But for this server version 4.4, the only executor that is compatible is 3.3 (as per the Server-KNIME Executor Compatibility Matrix).

So it means that a newer version of client (4.1) is compatible with a older version of executor (3.3). Isn’t?
Am I getting this wrong?

Thanks
Ravikiran

Hi Ravikiran,
Unfortunately it’s not like that. The compatibility between client and server only specifies if the client can talk to the server. This means users can use the client to up- and download workflows, create schedules, etc., but in order to execute the workflow on the server, the client must also be compatible with the installed executor, which means the executor must be the same version or newer than the client. With each version of KNIME new nodes are released and when the executor is older than the client, it does not know those nodes and therefore cannot execute workflows from that client.
Kind regards,
Alexander

Hi Alexander,

Perfect. Now I understand.

Another small use case: say my Server+Executor is of a lower version than my client.
Now, say I already have a workflow uploaded to ‘KNIME Server’ and I know that this workflow (i.,e all nodes within this) is compatible with the Executor to be executed properly.

In my newer version of the Client, can I safely use ‘KNIME Server Connection’, and ‘Call Workflow (Table Based)’ nodes in my workflow to connect to older version of Server and to execute the workflow that I have already uploaded in Server and get the results back here?

Does this work?

Thanks
Ravikiran

Hi,
I think as long as server and client are compatible according to the compatibility matrix, this should work.
Kind regards,
Alexander

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.