Copy / Move files on Knime Server

I have a workflow which works on desktop but i want to deploy on server. Part of the workflow is to copy a template from a folder on the server to a temp folder, created using the temp dir node.

When I run the workflow on Server I get this error message:

Copy/Move Files 63:732:825 - ERROR: Execute failed: This node only supports the protocol “file”

What can I do to fix this or is there an alternative approach to move / copy files on Knime Server?

Hi,

the ‘Copy/Move Files’ unfortunately doesn’t support knime://-URLs, which are needed in this case. You could simply use the Download / Upload from List node. I’ve created a small example:

Cheers,
Moritz

2 Likes

Hi Moritz,

we keep struggeling with things like that for many years now, that nodes on the server don’t behave as in the KNIME Desktop. The “does not support the KNIME protocol” thing is a good example. What is the reason behind, not to update the nodes accordingly?

Best,
Lars

Moritz, thanks for the this node. It did the trick.

But I second Laval, it took me several hours of severe frustration with a lot of trial and effort and in the end i had to give up. Using the download / upload node is very counterintuitive to move/copy a file on the server. Can we please have clear nodes with clear descriptions which work on both server and desktop protocols?

Much appreciated.

1 Like

Hi,

we are aware of these problems and starting with KNIME Analytics Platform 4.1 we are currently working on a new/improved file handling our file handling to make it easier to use and more convenient.
See changelog https://www.knime.com/changelog-v41 for that.
However, this will still take some time, as it currently is only a prototype.

Cheers,
Moritz

3 Likes

Hey,

great news! Looking forward! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Moritz,

Could anyone here explain me this behaviour?

Copy-pasted from your example workflow… A job running at server, List Files node returns a result table but…

Regards.

Hi,

seems like this node unfortunately doesn’t support the knime:// protocol when working on server.
Instead you could use the List Remote Files node

Cheers,
Moritz