Data files in remote repositories not appearing

I have recently installed KNIME Server Small and I wanted to created a repository for shared data files on the server. The KNIME Explorer Guide indicates:
“Files can be stored in workflow groups together with workflows in both KNIME TeamSpace and KNIME ServerSpace repositories. Add a file to a remote repository by dragging it from a file explorer window (the “Windows Explorer” in Windows) to the desired group within the repository.”

This is what I have done with simple .txt files, but somehow these files do not appear in the corresponding workflow group. The other option is:
“You can also copy a file with the operating system to the mounted shared folder. After you click refresh in the TeamSpace Explorer, the file is displayed. Note that only files with a registered extension can be read from within a KNIME workflow.”

I have done that as well on the server in the corresponding folder, but this still does not work (despite repeated "Refresh"s, the files do not appear in the Explorer window and cannot be referenced in workflows.

Installation details:
Windows Server 2016
KNIME 3.7 with KNIME Server 4.8

What am I doing wrong here?

Hi @sparel,

You’re doing nothing wrong. Seems like either there is a failure in the docs or this feature does not work properly. I’ll investigate on this and come back at you as soon as I know more.

What does work: Drag the files to your local repository first and then copy/move them to the server repository from there.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Marten

2 Likes

Hi @sparel,

indeed the documentation is wrong. Thanks for pointing that out. We’ll correct it.

Best,
Marten

Hi @sparel,

Thanks for reporting the issue. I fixed the issue in our documentation, and the changes will be online at the next update of the documentation system.

The statement used to be true, but we made changes to how the KNIME Server works that now disallow that. The reason is that files need to be added using the KNIME Analytics Platform (ServerSpace/Explorer) or the REST API, in order that the files are added with proper user permissions and other necessary metadata.

As Marten pointed out, it’s possible to drag the files into your LOCAL workspace and then import them that way.

Best,

Jon

3 Likes

Jon, Marten,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. And also for indicating how to import the files through the LOCAL workspace. This works for me.

Best,
Serge

2 Likes

How would you go about using the REST API to move a file on the server?

The “Explorer writer” node works from local/temp_folder to server/data_folder copies but if I want to copy from server/temp_folder to folder to server/data_folder nothing happens.

I would recommend to use Remote File Handling nodes in combination with KNIME Server Connection node. This example might help: https://kni.me/w/XBAqdVgDxt8E2QaV