Database reader node: encrypt SHA password

Hi,
I have a question about the database reader node.
In my sql I have to insert the SHA password in the query in order to see a column of my table. Is it possible in Knime to CRYPT the SHA decrypt password?
Thank you.

Marta

Hi Marta,
what do you mean with CRYPT the SHA decrypt password? In general you can use the Database Query or Database Reader node to execute any statement.
Bye
Tobias

Hi Tobias,
thanks for your answer.
I yet used the “Database reader” to execute different query.
The problem is that we use a SHA password to encrypt personal information (like email) of our customer in the db. For this reason I need to insert a password parameter in the query text to decrypt it, for exemple emails. I would like to save in KNIME this parameter with some password and not clear. Is it possible?

Hi Marta,
I see. Usually passwords are stored in KNIME using the Credential Input node which stores them encrypted. However you can not use the node since you need the plain password in a query where you can not use the credential variable. So far I can only come up with one workaround. You save the password on disc and load it into KNIME during execution with a file reader and then make the password available as variable which you can use anywhere in the query. However if the workflow is saved executed the password will be saved with the workflow in plain text. The password would still need to be in plain text in the file on the file system but it wouldn’t be associated with the workflow and you could set proper file permissions to only allow trusted people to read the file with the password. Let me know if you need further help with this.
Bye
Tobias

1 Like