DB Auto-Binner Error

Hello,

I am experiencing a problem with the DB Auto-Binner node.
Here is the error message:
WARN DB Auto-Binner 0:9513:0:9522 Could not retrieve boundaries from database. Exception: The query was canceled.

Does anybody have a clue what are the cause and the fix?

Thanks

Hello nba,
the DB Auto-Binner node gets the lower and upper bound for each binning column in order to calculate the bin boundaries. Somehow this query was canceled. Do you see any further information in the KNIME log e.g. a SQLException or can you have a look at the database log to see what caused the query cancellation? Which database are you connecting?
Bye
Tobias

Hi Tobias,
Thanks for your prompt answer.

I use MSSQL 2017
I checked both Knime and MSSQL logs. None showed any signs of cancellation or sqlException.
Do you know of any other tool which could help debug?

Thanks
NBA

Hi there @nba,

regarding KNIME log did you set up your log level to DEBUG? Then you will see more verbose log file. To do this go from within KNIME File --> Preferences --> KNIME and choose DEBUG.

And regarding your node configuration do you have one or multiple columns included?

Br,
Ivan

Hi Ivan,

For some reason, after shutting down the server and restarting everything this morning, the error has disappeared…
Anyway, your answer is appreciated.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @nba,

glad to hear it is working now :wink:

Br,
Ivan

Hi All,

Just a quick update. I realized that the problem was a function of the DB table size. When the number of rows was superior to few millions the error would appear. By changing the parameters in the DB connector node I managed to solve the problem: I increased both “Node cancellation polling interval” and “Retrieve in configuration timeout” in the advanced tab .
nba

1 Like

Hi there @nba,

tnx for sharing solution! Feel free to mark it as one. Solution button is hidden behind three dots(...) in right bottom corner of every reply.

Br,
Ivan

I’ll wait a few days to make sure it holds :slight_smile:

Hello nba,
did you see the warning message during configuration (e.g. when the settings or input connection of a yellow node changes) or execution of the node? If it is during configuration it would explain why increasing the Retrieve in configuration timeout parameter solved the problem. This parameter specifies how long KNIME should wait for the db to return the specification of the DB Data output port during configuration. If the query is canceled the node will not provide any specification on the DB Data output port. However this does not affect the execution of a node where KNIME waits until the database returns the result. So during execution you should see this warning at all.

P.s. Node cancellation polling interval: Is the interval at which KNIME checks if the user has pressed cancel while the node is in execution. If you increase this interval it will take longer between you pressing the Cancel button and the node reacting to it.
Bye
Tobias

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.