DB Reader error on 4.1 server

Hi,

I am recently experiencing a DB Reader error when I ran my workflow on 4.1 server. The error message is shown below. My workflow has multiple DB Reader nodes, some of them ran through and some of them not. I tried the same workflow locally, it ran through with no error. I am wondering how can I fix it?

Thanks,
Karen

do you have an example workflow (prefered) or an screenshot of your node setup? Maybe that would help to identify the problem :slight_smile:

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I downloaded the workflow and opened it locally it. It stopped at this DB Reader node.

This is the setting of my Hive connector:

I also received this error message when I opened the downloaded workflow. not sure whether the error of the DB Reader is related to version difference.

Thanks,
Karen

The version difference could explain why this run differently locally than they do on the server. Ensuring that your client is the same version as the server is an easy way to eliminate this as an issue.

The error message doesn’t contain a lot of detail. Hovering over the exclamation points can give your a more details, but the best option is to get the server logs either through the Admin tab on the Webportal, or potentially from terminaling/RDP’ing into the server to get the logs.

If those logs can be obtained and provided, we can better understand what the error is, and how to resolve it.

-Jeff

3 Likes

Thanks Jeff. I will try to get the log.