Decompress can´t handle "á" (ERROR Decompress ... Illegal char <?>

Using node “Decompress File” to decompress file downloaded from

https://download.inep.gov.br/microdados/Enade_Microdados/microdados_enade_2019.

I get the error:

ERROR Decompress Files 3:2 Execute failed: Illegal char <?> at index 137: <>\1.LEIA-ME\Dicion?rio de vari?veis dos Microdados do Enade 2019.ods

It seems that Decompress File can´t handle accented a, maybe other characters too. No problems with traditional zip/rar tools.

Hi @xexeo , this is most definitely a bug.

What’s really happening here is that, the accented characters are not being recognized, and are being taken as “?”, and “?” is not a valid character for a filename. So it’s complaining because it will not be able create a file with “?” in the name.

Somehow, when Knime is reading the index of the file, it’s not reading the accented characters.

Tagging some of the Knime team members @ScottF @Iris

2 Likes

@xexeo as a workaround you could try and unzip the file with R (1|2):

1 Like

Hello @xexeo,

ticket created to address it. (Internal reference: AP-17955)

Br,
Ivan

2 Likes

@ipazin would be great if this ticket could address the problems with several special characters and decompression.

1 Like

Hello @mlauber71,

in general I think that is a way of working but if you know more special characters that cause issues I can add them into ticket :wink:

Br,
Ivan

@ipazin if you could add empty folders and folders with special characters it would be great.

1 Like

Note added @mlauber71.
Ivan

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hello @xexeo ,
we just release version 4.7 of the KNIME Analytics Platform which should solve your problem.
For an overview of all the new features have a look at the What’s new page. For all the details go to the changelog.
Bye
Tobias

2 Likes