Difference between Local file system and mountpoint

Hello everyone,

It’s a silly question but just wanted to get it clarified. What would the mountpoint option under ‘read from’ in the excel reader node do? Is it used only when we are using the KNIME Server version?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for your questions!

Regarding the difference between Local file system and mountpoint: I would like to suggest to have a look at the following doc page:

https://docs.knime.com/2022-06/analytics_platform_file_handling_guide/index.html#introduction

'Local file system

When reading from Local File System the path syntax to use will be dependent on the system on which the workflow is executing, i.e. if Windows or UNIX operative system.

The working directory will be implicit and will correspond to the system root directory.

You can also have access to network shares supported by your operating system, via the local file system within KNIME Analytics Platform.

Please be aware that when executing a workflow on KNIME Server version 4.11 or higher the local file system access is disabled for security reasons. The KNIME Server administrators can activate it, but this is not recommended. For more information about this please refer to the KNIME Server Administration Guide.

Mountpoint

With the Mountpoint option you will have access to KNIME mount points, such as LOCAL, your KNIME Server mount points, if any, and the KNIME Hub. You have to be logged in to the specific mountpoint to have access to it.

The path syntax will be UNIX-like, i.e. /folder1/folder2/file.txt and relative to the implicit working directory, which corresponds to the root of the mountpoint.

Please note that workflows inside the mountpoints are treated as files, so it is not possible to read or write files inside a workflow.’

If you want to keep the same structure, I would suggest to use the mountpoint option as far as it has a benefit to easily switch from a local running workflow to the KNIME Server.

Is it used only when we are using the KNIME Server version?

You can also try with MyKNIMEHub and LOCAL.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.