Dynamic Ports - Wishlist

We just released the dynamic ports in KNIME 4.1.
And for the next release will look into pushing this concept to more nodes, so what nodes would you like to see?

(We cannot promise all of them will be done, but we love a good challenge)

5 Likes

Instead of having Loop End, Loop End (2 ports), Loop End (3 ports) etc… just have one Loop End with dynamic ports. Same applies to the various Loop Starts.

4 Likes

Nobody? :slightly_smiling_face: Here’s another one from me: dynamic ports for the R Snippet / Python Script nodes.

Although the R nodes do not really need it because, in contrast with the Python nodes, one can pass the R workspace from one node to the next with the “R to R” and “Add Table to R” nodes, so that tables can be added and retrieved to and from R one by one. The Python nodes do not have this option, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Hi. I vote for the Merge Variables node. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi there @dnaki,

actually no need to vote on Merge Variables node as it has already been implemented and will be available for summer release.

https://www.knime.com/nightly-build-changelog
(AP-13381)

Br,
Ivan

5 Likes

I don’t know if it is difficult from a software engineering point of view to have dynamic ports of a different type than a data table, but it would be convenient sometimes to have multiple image input ports for the “Image To Table” node.

Hi @Aswin,

just wondering what do you do with multiple images in single table then? And what do you usually use this node for after you have a single image in table format? (not using this node a lot obviously :smiley:)

Br,
Ivan

Dear @ipazin,

Imagine the Hubble Deep Field image https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Deep_Field being processed with various approaches in an attempt to automatically remove foreground stars. This would happen in different workflow branches, after which the results are combined into rows of a single table. This way can all images be scaled down together with the Image Resizer node for publication in Nature Astronomy…

This workflow might look very much like the one I am dealing with right now:

Of course, I could combine all the Image To Table nodes into a single metanode/component, but that was also true of the old non-dynamic Concatenate node with 2 inputs.

I realize that this would open the floodgates for many different “… to Table” or “… to Cell” nodes (such as Model to Cell), but I think that people who work with images often have to handle several images simultaneously.

Best,
Aswin

2 Likes

Hi @Aswin,

tnx for additional explanation. Use case seems reasonable to me. Ticket created. (Internal reference: AP-15074).

Br,
Ivan

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hello there,

just to drop info that dynamic port on loops are available from KNIME version 4.5.0.

Br,
Ivan

2 Likes