Editable table node

Is there a way of configuring the table creator node, presumeably by flow variables, to contain the data from an existing table, such that it can be editted by the user?

Failing this, a modified table creator node, in which an input table can be user-modified manually (for example, to manually correct table entries which have data collection errors in them, or to add additional data columns to a table) before being executed, so that the output table contains the modified data, would be an useful addition to Knime.

At them moment, I achieve this indirectly by writing the table to a .csv file, editing it in e.g. MS Excel, and then running a file reader node to re-load the data (with the nodes filenames controlled by flow variables), but this seams a little 'clunky'!

Thanks

Steve

1 Like

Hi Steve,

I totally agree, I posted a similar posting a while back, but didnt get any response on this.

http://tech.knime.org/forum/knime-general/editable-interactive-table-viewer

I am doing a similar thing to you by using Excel, but by a little less clunky way.

What you want to do is call on MS Excel by using the External Tool node, put in a temp location for a CSV file (i.e. C:\Windows\Temp\tempfile.csv) in both input and output boxes. Then call on the MS Excel executable in the executable box. In the syntax box, put the location of the temp csv file again. This way, KNIME calls up Excel, automatically loads in the KNIME data, then you make the changes you want, click save and shut down Excel and then KNIME carries on with the modified data.

Thanks,

Simon.

1 Like

Simon,

Thanks - that is certainly a more elegant and user-friendly solution than mine.  It took me a minute or two to figure the need to enter the input file path in both the Input data file and Commandline arguments boxes!

Let's hope Knime can come up with something smoother ultimately!

Steve

As an extra word of caution - make sure Excel is closed before you run the node, and do not ensure all other Excel documents are also closed again before you finally close excel, otherwise the workflow does not resume properly!

Steve

Oh my, I havent had that problem thankfully. I'll make sure to be wary of those instances. I hope my modified solution is not causing more problems than its solving!

But I think we both agree a more user friendly way of being able to modify data mid-KNIME workflow would be a major positive advancement in KNIME.

Simon.

Is this still the workaround solution as of Version 2.10 ?

As far as I know...

Steve

Yip, unfortunately. A better implemented is most wanted!

Simon.

For the benefit of anyone coming to this post and wondering if the editable table node yet exists, the answer is that there is now one in the KNIME Labs Javascript views extension (available from the main KNIME product update site). The node is called Table Editor (JavaScript), and gives a view on the table which is editable in either the webportal or in a desktop client within a wrapped metanode.

It is restricted to text input / rendering (so no molecular structures, PNG, IMG etc) but does the job. @christian.dietz - The other possible improvement is that it isnt very obvious that the table is editable in the webportal so I had to explain to a colleague that they could click in cells and edit them!

Steve

2 Likes