Enforce server logout on user inactivity

Hi all,
I was wondering if there is any (configurable) feature in the KNIME Server that enforces the user to logout after some time of inactivity. Is anyone aware?

Thanks,
Matheus

Hello @toscanomatheus ,

If your users are using the Remote Workflow Editor capabilities [1], then there is the Remote Workflow Editor preferences (File>Preferences>KNIME>KNIME GUI>Remote Workflow Editor) [2] where you can configure the Auto-refresh interval and Client timeout (ms) settings.

Additionally, if your users authenticate via OAuth, then OAuth providers will handle the lifecycle of authentication tokens i.e. timing out logins.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,
Nickolaus

[1] this can be installed as an extension via Help>Install, “All available sites”, search for “remote”, and check mark "KNIME Remote Workflow Editor; then install and restart AP
[2] KNIME Server User Guide

2 Likes

Hi Nickolaus,

Thanks for the response, I see now that I was not very clear in my first post, so let me give more clarity here: I am concerned about the logout timeout in the WebPortal. To answer your question, our KNIME Server users are linked to our Windows credentias (I am not sure if that is what you mean by OAuth).

I have not experienced any time out due to inactivity in the WebPortal (e.g. the server closes my session after 15 min), and I was wondering if this is something that could be configurable. We do have our Windows lock screen, but I was looking for something specific in the server session.

Regards,
Matheus

1 Like

Hello @toscanomatheus ,

Thank you for the clarification.

Per [3], there is currently no knime-server.config configuration option to control this.

However, per [4], there’s apparently a 30m session timeout, which you can unzip the jar and tweak it, then rezip it, but you’d have to do this for every version update. See the post for more detailed information.

Thank you,
Nickolaus

[3] KNIME WebPortal Administration Guide
[4] Are there known reasons why user of the KNIME webportal are logged out while using it? - #2 by Marten_Pfannenschmidt

Hi @NDekay,

i think [4] is not working for the 4.12 webportal version right?
The 4.11 version works with this hidden setting as far as I can see.

I think there the only possibility is to inject a own javascript to the nuxt index page which is generated on server launch… :thinking:

@toscanomatheus did you get it to work on your side? I could share my custom script for the index file - but it is not a nice process as it is overwritten with each server launch :see_no_evil:

1 Like

@AnotherFraudUser I have not tested it yet (this is handled by different team than the one I am part of). I appreciate your offering the script. At the moment, this is not very critical, so I will keep that in mind it it comes to be an issue in the future. Thanks!

1 Like