Enforcing data types while reading all excel sheets in a workbook?

Hi,
Is there any way to read all excel sheets from an excel workbook while enforcing data types for certain columns? Moreover, if there’s some difference between table structure, will we still be able to do so?

Is there any way to read all excel sheets from an excel workbook

It’s possible to read in all the sheets from an Excel workbook.

while enforcing data types for certain columns?

What data types are you interested in preserving?

Moreover, if there’s some difference between table structure, will we still be able to do so?

Can you elaborate a bit more? It’s unclear what you’re asking here.

1 Like

In my excel workbook for some columns, the data type is “Percentage”. While reading all of these sheets in KNIME I get a question mark (?) as data type. Now I want to enforce all of those columns to be in string format so I don’t face this issue. How can I do that?

Secondly, if the table structure in one excel sheet is different from the other sheet. How will it affect my entire dataset loading process? Makes sense or not?

How can I do that?

The Transformation tab of the Excel Reader node allows you to choose datatypes.

Secondly, if the table structure in one excel sheet is different from the other sheet. How will it affect my entire dataset loading process?

You need to determine how you want to handle differences in table structure. I don’t know anything about your process so I can’t say how it will be affected. The most straightforward solution would be to allow changing table specifications in the loop end node. This would create a table where every column is present, and the data will be distributed among those columns based on the contents of the individual sheets. Whether or not that’s desirable is up to you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.