Error on load KNIME

Dear Knimers, I would greatly appreciate if you can help me with a problem that start to appeared a couple days ago and which I cannot explain/remove it right now - when I start KNIME (on load), I find the following message in the log file which say that it is a kind of ERROR (I’m on Win10 and KNIME version 4.7):

ERROR : main : : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler : : : PowerShell command powershell -inputformat none -outputformat text -NonInteractive -Command Get-Item -Path ‘Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Processes’ -ErrorAction Stop | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Property did not terminate successfully.
ERROR : main : : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler : : : Stderr is:
ERROR : main : : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler : : : Get-Item : Requested registry access is not allowed.
ERROR : main : : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler : : : At line:1 char:1
ERROR : main : : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler : : : + Get-Item -Path 'Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windo …
ERROR : main : : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler : : : + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ERROR : main : : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler : : : + CategoryInfo : PermissionDenied: (HKEY_LOCAL_MACH…sions\Processes:String) [Get-Item], SecurityExcepti
ERROR : main : : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler : : : on
ERROR : main : : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler : : : + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Security.SecurityException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetItemCommand
ERROR : main : : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler : : :

Thanks in advance
Stjepan

Hi @ssimara

I assume your KNIME still starts fine and is functional, right?
This happens because KNIME tries to communicate with the Windows Defender in the background to speed up processes and be more performant. When you’re settings don’t allow that communication, these errors are thrown. They don’t look nice, but are harmless and you can ignore them. If you want to get rid of them, you can exclude KNIME from the Windows Defender check, but not all company policies allow that.

Does that help? :slight_smile:
Best,
Alice

1 Like

Thanks Alice, you are right - KNIME start normal and functional. Strange things is that I already set up exclusions on KNIME (folders and process) in Windows Defender, but still got this error (as I said before, this error start from couple day ago).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.