exception thrown

I just got this error message (after a few hours of computing…, quite frustrating…) Is this an OS problem or a software problem?

Thanks,

B

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /tmp/BatchExecutorOutput12635684951960/Row Filter (#18)/port_0/data.zip (Too many open files)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.(FileOutputStream.java:179)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.(FileOutputStream.java:131)
at org.knime.core.data.container.ContainerTable.saveToFile(ContainerTable.java:179)
at org.knime.core.node.BufferedDataTable.save(BufferedDataTable.java:362)
at org.knime.core.node.NodePersistorVersion200.savePort(NodePersistorVersion200.java:258)
at org.knime.core.node.NodePersistorVersion200.savePorts(NodePersistorVersion200.java:179)
at org.knime.core.node.NodePersistorVersion200.save(NodePersistorVersion200.java:137)
at org.knime.core.node.workflow.SingleNodeContainerPersistorVersion200.save(SingleNodeContainerPersistorVersion200.java:212)
at org.knime.core.node.workflow.WorkflowPersistorVersion200.saveNodeContainer(WorkflowPersistorVersion200.java:516)
at org.knime.core.node.workflow.WorkflowPersistorVersion200.save(WorkflowPersistorVersion200.java:387)
at org.knime.core.node.workflow.WorkflowManager.save(WorkflowManager.java:4172)
at org.knime.core.node.workflow.BatchExecutor.mainRun(BatchExecutor.java:418)
at org.knime.product.headless.KNIMEBatchApplication.start(KNIMEBatchApplication.java:102)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:193)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:386)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:549)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:504)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1236)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1212)

This is a “too many open files” problem. There is limit of how many open files a process can have on linux (and probably also windows). The default on linux systems is 1024 as far as I know. Here is web page I found describing how to increase the limits.

How large is your workflow?

Not sure what you mean by large? how many node? or how many rows? It turns out that this particular workflow has 8 parallel tracks, each with roughly the same workflows including nested workflows on 2 sub-levels. There are probably about 11 million rows per node… We changed the value to 2048 and it works now… (so far, got into this mysql-heap problem now…)
B

Yes, I meant worklow size in terms of nodes (the row count shouldn’t matter match). But then again, I know users who have 3000+ nodes and 100+ meta nodes in their workflows and they run it without problems, so it really depends on the type of nodes and the data. Maybe we should have a look at your specific problem during the UGM.

Thanks!