executor-workspace folder keeps appearing

Hi, I have had Knime server for some time (Ubuntu) but have removed. Yet there is a folder named 'executor-workspace ’ appearing in my home directory, it keeps coming back when I remove it. Where does this come from and how can I prevent this from happening?

Thanks/Evert

Hello,

KNIME Executor will follow the Environment variable KNIME_EXECUTOR_WORKSPACE in knime-executor.service (accessible via sudo systemctl edit knime-executor) to determine where the executor workspace should be placed.

If that line is commented out, it will use ~/knime-executor by default, with the ~ being the home directory of the user it is being started as (which can be found lower in that file, in the User= line.)

You said that you had removed KNIME Server, but didn’t mention how you went about doing it. Perhaps there is some remnant that did not get removed?

In any case, if you used the systemd scripts, I would recommend checking if they are still attempting to start the services on OS restart.

1. check sudo systemctl status knime-executor; if it shows it is running then you will need to stop it. (sudo systemctl stop knime-executor)
  2. once it is stopped, disable it (sudo systemctl disable knime-executor)
  3. Do the same check-stop-disable for knime-server.
  4. Once both are disabled, execute sudo systemctl daemon-reload to update that system.

That should solve the problem of services attempting to still start up.
After that, you should go to /opt/knime (or wherever you installed it at) to make sure you fully deleted it (rm -rf $dir, where $dir is the directory of knime_server.) Do the same for wherever you installed the executor, if you put it in a nonstandard location (by default knime_executor is under knime_server).

Note: be very careful with the rm -rf command so that you do not unintentionally delete things that you meant to keep.

If it’s still recreating it after that, let me know and include the following information for troubleshooting:

• What version of KNIME Server (KS)/KNIME Executor (KE) were being used?
  • Does your KNIME server/executor run as a particular service account? If so, what is the username?
  • What directory was knime server installed in? Same for the executor. And what directory is it creating the executor-workspace in?
  • Are you using KNIME AP on this machine?

Regards,
Nickolaus

1 Like

Just a side note when running commands like rm -rf, the best practice would be to run an ls first to make sure that we are deleting what’s intended.

Run ls $whatever_you_want_to_delete. If all is good, then call back the last command, which is the ls $whatever_you_want_to_delete (Arrow UP once), and replace the ls with rm -rf, which should give you rm -rf $whatever_you_want_to_delete.

Similarly for db operations for UPDATE or DELETE, always run a SELECT first.
SELECT * FROM table WHERE your_conditions;

If all is good, call back the last command (in Command Line) or go to your SELECT statement (UI Editor), and modify what needs to be modified EXCEPT for your WHERE conditions. That way you make sure that you are going to impact only the records that you saw in the SELECT statement.

1 Like

Hi,

Looks like your 1-4 step procedure worked, the folder has not reappeared yet after one night (have not rebooted yet though).

I promise to be more careful next time!

Best wishes/Evert

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.