Extensions offline install in 2.1?

Dear KNIMErs,

Is it possible that offline installation of extensions has changed in bahaviour? Up to KNIME 2.0.3 it was sufficient to extract the UpdateSite ZIP file into the KNIME base folder to have everything installed “out of the box”. Now I have to create a local “Update server” from that very same ZIP file, right? I’m currently doing so, after the “old” method failed me twice.

Thanks,
E.

Follow-up question, sorry! :sunglasses: Which module makes the KNIME launch so sluggish after all extensions have been installed? There’s like a factor of 100 in between the “pure” vs. the “full” package (30 vs. 3000 seconds…).

Thanks,
E.

Unpacking extensions into the features- and plugins-folder is no longer supported since Eclipse 3.4. You have to use the Update Manager since Eclipse is maintaining a metadata repository of all installed features, their dependencies, and so on.
I don’t know, why your KNIME with all extensions is taking so long to start up. Is KNIME doing something meanwhile or is it just waiting?

Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for the rapid reaction, it’s good to know that.

As for the launch time: If I only knew what exactly KNIME is doing in the meantime - it stays at around 4% CPU load for half an hour (so more like factor 600), accoding to Win Task Manager it’s “not responding”. And suddenly it would launch. Maybe some extensions is suffering an immensely long timeout trying to connect somewhere (which our firewall certainly won’t allow)? I have no idea whatsoever myself.

Cheers,
E.

That could be a cause, indeed. I don’t know of any plugins that make (desired) network connections, however. Hm. Could be something related to p2. Is it somehow possible for you to check if KNIME is trying to connect to the outside world?

Thorsten

Another thing that comes to my mind is the virus scanner: If you are using a virus scanner and it is configured to scan jar and/or zip files on every access this would explain why it slows down the startup so much. Could you check your virus scanner settings? Best, Fabian

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I’m not an admin on my machine, so I won’t be able to check either. :frowning: Only a portable version of a network connections scanner would allow me to check (a) - but I do expect that (b) is quite close to the truth, anyway.

Thanks for the help once more!

Cheers,
E.