Failed to load JNI shared library; jvm.dll

Hello Wiswedel,

I tested your suggestion, but unfortunately it did not help.
Do you perhaps any other ‘tricks’ to try?

Many thanks for your response.

Kr,
Jurjen

Next attempt:

Open a command prompt (need instructions?), browse to the KNIME installation folder, then run this:
c:\program files\<whatever-that-path-is->\plugins\org.knime.binary.jre.win32.x86_64_17.0.3<...>\jre\bin\java -version

Does that properly print the java version number?

(The error suggest that the java installation is invalid/corrupted/wrong and we should confirm it’s all in order).

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks.
It looks like there is no Java on my virtual machine(?).

Also when I check for Java in Windows environment I don’t find any Java.
Does version 4.3.4 also require Java? Because that version is working very well currently…

Many thanks again :slight_smile:

And could you check if the file above exists on your VM?

I got the same message error and, I did a fresh installation of the version 4.5.2 (windows 64bits) and all works fine.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this. There must be something else going on because there were different users reporting the same problem (e.g. also here).

@jurjengroendijk : Your command on the prompt above has an error. I think you need to qualify the path (so run .\java -version – note the leading .\).

1 Like

Yes, the file does exist.

Hi Wiswedel,

Thank you.
I don’t exactly understand what I should type at the command prompt.

What should I type if the path is:
C:\Program Files\Knime_new\KNIME\plugins\org.knime.binary.jre.win32.x86_64_17.0.3.20220429\jre\bin\server

Many thanks again.

I just found out via our administrator that Java is not installed on the VM.
Which version of Java should be installed to make Knime 4.6.0. work fine?

I can download Java 17 or Java 18 from the Oracle website if needed.

You should not be required to do that. Java comes with the Analytics Platform (it’s located in that folder that we have cited a couple of times above, that is C:\Program Files\Knime_new\KNIME\plugins\org.knime.binary.jre.win32.x86_64_17.0.3.20220429\jre)

There is something wrong with that java “installation” (it’s not really an installation because it’s just a folder; it’s not registered with the Windows OS – and it doesn’t need to be).

What we should be doing is to confirm that this installation is not corrupted. Therefore, I suggested above that we run the java.exe -version in that installation.

You need to do this from a command prompt (like you did above) but you need to qualify the path to the java executable, otherwise the command prompt won’t be able to resolve the path to the executable (even if you have cd-ed into that folder – it’s some shell security thing).

So please open a command prompt, browse (using the cd command) into the folder above, then run:

.\bin\java -version

Thanks,
Bernd

Thanks Bernd,

That gives me the following result:

Doesn’t look good, I think?

confirm: exact same behaviour here.

I did a very nasty hack that solves the startup issue but likely causes other problems:
copied the binary java jre (v11) from Knime 4.5.2 and renamed it to the original name.

This makes KNIME 4.6 launch normally. So it is clearly a problem with the JRE.

got it to work by manually copying in the latest azul openJDK 17 into the affected directory.

do you mean that you copied the whole folder structure?
Could you be a bit more specific what your action was so I can try it as well?
Many thanks

You download and unzip the Azul openJDK.
Then you go into the affected folder in plugins ( -binary-...\jre)
delete all files and replace them with the contents of the azul jdk directory…

This did the trick for me.

I see. Azul is not a trusted site on my vm. Oracle is. Azul is blocked and I can’t use that unfortunately.

I don’t see why the same procedure shouldn’t work with an Oracle JRE.

I am affraid this is a bit too technically for me. Sorry :frowning:

@wiswedel Does the error message sounds recognisable to you?

Someone from the team could reproduce the problem. After diagnosing further it seems the JRE ( = Java) is corrupted – there is a file missing.

Untile we fix the problem (target 4.6.1), the workaround seems to be to install https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe (Visual Studio C++ Redistributable).

Apologies for that! This went unnoticed because most systems have that installed, so it slipped through our tests.

8 Likes