Feature request: file name only when writing files

Hi,

When writing a file (e.g. a Knime table) the whole path always comes up in the file name box.

Isn’t it enough to have an empty box where only the file name needs to be entered (as the path is already known at that point)?

Thanks/Evert

Hello @evert.homan_scilifelab.se,

not sure I follow. Are you referring to already configured writer node and then possibility to have specify different file name for same path?

Br,
Ivan

No. What I meant was the File name entry box always show the whole path, which seems unneccesary. It could be empty so that only the file name would be shown when entered (without the path).

Best/Evert

are you talking about specific node? And how is path known? :confused:

Br,
Ivan

This is the Table Writer node. After browsing to a folder to save the file, the whole path is shown in the File name entry box and I need to type the file name after the path. IMO there is no need to show the path, an empty box would make it easier to fill in the file name (as the help text implies). Sometimes the path is too long to fit in the box and you need to move right to the end of the path to add the file name. Clearing the box and entering file name only will lead to file being saved with the folder name one folder up.

Hi @evert.homan_scilifelab.se,

What KNIME Analytics Platform version are you using?

Latest, 4.2.1.

Best/Evert

I get it know but have different behavior. Don’t see path you are seeing but only file name…

WritingFile

Br,
Ivan

Interesting. I run Knime 4.2.1 in Windows 10. The behaviour is different for the Table Writer and Excel Sheet Appender node (the latter works as expected, with only the file name showing).

Thanks/Evert

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.