Feature request: Holding a connector and scrolling

Hello,

I often face the problem, that I would like to connect two nodes but they are not visible from the current view because my transformation is too big.
So I usually already work on a 60% zoomed workflow and if I want to connect two nodes, which are far apart from each other, I will have to zoom out even more. If I do this, I cannot see if I am actually picking the correct nodes. E.G. see the attached image, I would like to connect node 1 with Joiner 2, but it is quite difficult to connect these from the 30% view.

Before Knime my company was operating Pentaho by Hitachi where it was possible to select a connection and drag the connection bar past the scroll bar, leading to it scrolling in all directions which were required (right or down). Would it be possible to have a similar system in place in Knime?

So would it be possilbe to hold an unconnected node connector line to the edge of the workflow to scroll in the desired direction?

Cheers,

Rutger

5 Likes

Thanks for the request, @rutger. That sounds pretty nice indeed.

As a temporary workaround, there’s also an alternate way of linking nodes, in case you haven’t been aware of that. You can press Ctrl and click either nodes to select both. Then you can press Ctrl + L to link the two nodes (or select Node > Link Selected Nodes) in the menu.

5 Likes

Hi @Rutger, I agree with you that this does make life awkward at times, and I’d welcome some way of scrolling while “carrying” the link across to the other node.

For the majority of node joins where there is only one output port on the “from” node, and one input port on the “to” node, one way of achieving the join is as follows:

Selecting the from node,
Scrolling to the to node
Hold down the Ctrl key down and click the to node so that both nodes will now be selected.
Press Ctrl L which will link the nodes.

If the to node has more than one input port, repeatedly pressing Ctrl L will link the from node to each input port, and then you would have to delete the links you don’t want.

This hopefully covers many regular situations , though I haven’t found a convenient way of handling the case where it is the second port on the from node that I’m wanting to connect to the first port of the to node! :wink:

4 Likes

Ah you beat me to it when I wasn’t looking… :wink:

Hello,

Thank you both for these great answers, I did not know about the Ctrl + L option.
This actually achieves my goal even better than what I had in mind!

Regards,
Rutger

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.