Feature Request - TODO list

Hello - it would be an awesome addition if a centralized todo list can be added. In addition, it could ideally point to where the todo item should be implemented.

Many thanks for the consideration.

Thank you.

Hello @sw1336,

have a feeling I understand what are you talking about but still can you explain it a bit more? What exactly is and how do you imagine centralized todo list? What items should be on the list? Item should point to what?

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Hello Ivan @ipazin,

When I code (in this case design workflows), I work on the main process and then once the main work is done, I go back and tie the loose-ends. More often than not, if I don’t write down the minor work to be completed together with the location to implement it, I forget it.

I have multiple large KNIME workflows in Production with 1000+ nodes in each of those. As you can imagine, keeping track of things can be daunting. Sometimes, because it is just a painful thing to remember where the implement the minor thing, I procrastinate and say to myself, let me do it the next time. I use Anaconda Sypder’s TODO function a lot so that I can a) keep track of what needs to be done and b) I don’t forget it.

I would envision the TODO list to be somewhere on the main canvas, together with, if possible, a link/reminder/location as to where it needs to be implemented. Sure, I can annotate in the main canvas (and that’s what I do), but a more formal feature would be ideal. Perhaps a dotted line from the TODO list to the location to indicate where the change needs to be implemented?

Thank you.

2 Likes

Something like a table of content could be an idea. It would be possible to create such a thing with flow variables though.

You plan your steps in Java edit nodes and then link to meta nodes or components that would contain the code. The downside would be that these flow variables could interfere with functionality and would not be independent from the flow of execution.

The other thing could be to organise work with named sub-workflows and steer them via a meta list where you can switch on and off workflows. I have seen such a concept in production.

Downside here: you would not be able to benefit from parallel execution on the server and sometimes the calling of sub workflows might not be that stable.

2 Likes

Hello @sw1336,

tnx for explanation. Turned out this is totally not was thinking :sweat_smile:

I see your point. Having such a TODO list functionality in KNIME could help users develop faster and better for sure. And without need to use another tool.

Let’s see if there are others who like to comment on this and share their experience.

Br,
Ivan

Ivan @ipazin,

What was your thinking regarding the TODO list?

Hello @sw1336,

todo list of KNIME features :smiley:

Br,
Ivan

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.