Feature Request: user defined Global Variables

Hi all,

Unsure if this is the correct forum for a feature request. If this post is misplaced, my apologies.

My feature request:

To create a node where I can create custom variables which I can then use anywhere in KNIME - from the paths in the different nodes to the Perl or Python scripting nodes.

Use of this feature:

I will list one extremely simple use. On several of my projects, I actually write my output to folders which I relate to my input. For example if I created a workflow to say search through a large number of files for a certain term and want to write out all the files which actually have that term to a folder named after the search term. If I had a way to define a variable, say var_search_term, which could be accessed anywhere in the workflow, so that I could tell the output writer to write the files which qualified to, say /scratch/search_terms/<USERVAR:var_search_term>/files/, or something else like that. This means I can build a complex workflow where if I changed my search term, I would not have to go around and change the contents of a hundred nodes.

I am not a Java programmer but am good with Perl and Python. I am a bioinformatics person with an extensive experience using different open source as well as commercial workflow tools. Please contact me if I can be of any more help.

Thanks and regards,
-AP

1 Like

May be workflow variables could help here. If you are in the expert mode, just right-click on the workflow and then select "Workflow Variables". These variables will be available in all nodes.

Hope this helps,
  Bernd

KNIME should dispense with the useless "expert mode" that only serves to hide a few nodes when not set.  Those nodes should be shown all the time without some extra mode.