File Upload Widget - displays long hexadecimal value instead of filename

Since upgrading to KNIME Server 4.11 with Executor 4.2.1 the ‘File Upload (Widget)’ displays a long hexadecimal value instead of uploaded file name.

It seems like a bug since it invalidates the File extension setting (see screenshot).
But it could also be misconfiguration from my part.

Please help me change this back.

Hello,

Would you mind providing us with the following?

1. Can you please send us a screen shot of the entire configuration of the file upload widget?
  2. Can you also provide us with a screenshot of the flow variable output of the file upload widget?
  3. Where are you choosing the “change file” selection from? A shared drive, locally, URL?
  4. In the screen shot, is that the default file you have selected?

Thanks,
Zack

Hi Zack,

Thanks for you response and sorry about the late reply.

1. Configuration is completely default - see screenshot.
  2. See screen shot.
  3. Not sure what you mean. I have a File upload Widget in a Component, running on the Knime Web portal. I run the workflow, cluck ‘Select file’ and choose 1 file from my desktop computer. I expect to see the original file name in the Selected file label, but I see a seemingly randrom identifier for the uploaded file. I have attached a .knwf file to this post illustrating.
  4. No it is an uploaded file.

Upload.knwf (7.7 KB)

Hello,

This issue was actually a bug for 4.11.1, this issue has since been fixed in the 4.11.2 release that was just released yesterday. If you upgrade to this version, the issue should be resolved.

Thanks,
Zack

Cool - very happy to hear :slight_smile:
I will update server tomorrow and I expect things will be good.

Thanks for the support & have a nice day!

You can also try the new WebPortal. Check https://docs.knime.com/2020-07/webportal_admin_guide/index.html and/or https://docs.knime.com/2020-07/webportal_user_guide/index.html :slight_smile:

1 Like

New WebPortal… Absolutely - I will check it out. Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,
Unfortunately I have the exact same issue… I have also noticed that the file name includes now digits between its end and the file extension.
For example file input name is ‘Extraction_Bio_For_GeoMeant.xlsx’ and becomes ‘Extraction_Bio_For_GeoMeant5035006176220199001.xlsx’ when read on the server. Then output becomes Extraction_Bio_For_GeoMeant5035006176220199001_with_GeoMean_Calc.xlsx. Is there a way to remove these ids added by the server?

Thanks,

Regards,
Claire

Hi Claire,

The fix has been implemented in version 4.10.4 and 4.11.2 of Knime Server. If you are not on these versions unfortunately the addition of the additional numbers are by design to prevent overwriting of files when uploading.

Thanks,
Zack

Hello All,

Additionally you must upgrade your Knime AP version to either 4.1.4 or 4.2.2, and your executor version to 4.1.4 or 4.2.2 as the node itself has changed and will be reflected only in an upgrade of your respective versions.

Thanks,
Zack

Hi Zack,

Not sure to understand - OK for the fix of the file name displayed in the web portal. But regarding the additional numbers added to the file name, do you mean that these numbers will be always added to the original file name even if we have only one executor?
Thanks,
Regards,
Claire

Hi Claire,

if you use 4.2.2 there is a new flow variable that is output from the File Upload Widget with the original file name if you need it further downstream in your workflow. The path and URL need to have a unique id appended for technical reasons.

Hope this helps,
Christian

2 Likes

Hi Christian,
Ok thanks for the clarification.
Regards,
Claire

1 Like