File upload widget is not reflecting the uploaded files on a dashboard!

Hey guys,
I have been working on devloping a dashboard that asks the user to upload two excel files and it would generate a report using BIRT. Awesome @Kathrin has helped here and I made the dashboard. My current problem is that the file upload widget is not correctly adding my uploaded excel files to the initial workflow. Therefore, no matter what file I upload, the dashboard generate a report based on default files on the file upload widget!! Any help is much appreciated.
P.S. To be honest I am not very expericed with KNIME and especially flow variables but from the looks of it, everything is connected to the right workflow!

Maybe I can guess the problem: Widgets need the settings applied when/before closing the window.

If not: Can you share your workflow? It’s easier to figure out what’s wrong that way. If there’s sensitive data in it, you can make a mock-up with the same issue.

1 Like

Hey @thyme thank you for your reply. Are you talking about the dasboard window or the window of the workflow that I am linking my uploaded files to?
Also, my workflow is very similar to this workflow that was built by @Kathrin ( I basically build mine based on this workflow)

@amirmbhd have you tried to set a new connection at the point where you want the data to be browsed/find. So each time you access the data the connection is being restored.

Not elegant but it might work. Other question is where is this file system. Are there any rights need to be set for KNIME to see files?

1 Like

Initially I had some problems with the widget nodes, until I applied the changes as new default when closing the dashboard/widget window. It seems the File Upload Widget really doesn’t like default files that don’t exist.
As soon as the default files were set to existing files, the Widgets were working fine.

2 Likes

Thank you for your follow up @Thyme. So by changing the excel files you get different results? I am keep trying and I still get the same result. I went back to my reference workflow and I realized that is also not accurately reflecting the new excel files! the warning that I get on the console is the following: “WARN File Download Widget 0:52:0:54 No such variable “Output location” of type STRING” what do you think I am missing?

Thank you for your reply @mlauber71. What kind of node are you talking about when refering to setting up a new connection? Also I beleive KNIME has access to all my data on my local computer. As I said in the other reply, I went back to my reference workflow and I realized that is also not accurately reflecting the new excel files! the warning that I get on the console is the following: “WARN File Download Widget 0:52:0:54 No such variable “Output location” of type STRING” what do you think I am missing? could it be the problem with restarting the connection or KNIME rights that you mentioned?

Here’s the steps that I took. Every step involves only the “Control Dashboard” Component in the “Control_Workflow”:

1. Reset component
  2. Execute it
  3. Open the interactive view
  4. Select a report
  5. Select a file
  6. Apply as new default (see screenshot)
  7. For some reason, close the interactive view
  8. Open it again
  9. Click on “No”, then “Yes”. (can’t click yes directly)
  10. Wait a bit and download the file
  11. No need to apply as new default now (until the WF gets closed and the temporary files are deleted)

Let me know if that works for you as well.

3 Likes

OMG YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER!! Thank you so much for taking the time! It works like a charm now!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.