Filter columns with missing values per row up to the column that has a value

Okay… I have a table with donations per donor (rows) per year (column). This is what my table could look like:

2010 2011 2012 2013
Row1 ? 5 10 5
Row2 ? 20 ? 20
Row3 10 ? ? ?
Row4 5 5 5 5
Row5 ? ? 50 10

I want to transform this to a table that tells me how much someone donated in their first, second, etc. year. This is what I want it to look like:

Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4
Row1 5 10 5 ?
Row2 20 ? 20 ?
Row3 10 ? ? ?
Row4 5 5 5 5
Row5 50 10 ? ?

I don’t want to remove all missing values, but only those before the first year of donating.

The table contains almost 200k rows, so a group loop (per donor) is not ideal. Right now I do have a group loop, then transposing the table and calculating a cumulative sum (so missing values in between are dealt with), then removing all empty rows, transposing again.

But there must be a simpler solution, right? Just can’t figure it out…

Hi @mldendulk,

I hope the attached workflow hekps to you.

Roland

remove_missings_before_existing_value.knar.knwf (28.4 KB)

2 Likes

Hi @mldendulk @rolandnemeth . I am later.
Anyhow, please find a different approach

Data Wrangling _ Project Compare - Setting Start Year.knwf (78.5 KB)

BR

3 Likes

I made a small modification, the sorter has been eliminated before the Rank node in order to the better performance on large dataset. I implemented a sorter after the last pivoting node in order to the better view (ascending by) RowIDs.

remove_missings_before_existing_value 1.knar.knwf (28.5 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks to both @gonhaddock and @rolandnemeth for your help!

Yesterday evening I came up with a similar solution (unpivoting, determining the first year in a group by, then calculating year x (year - starting year + 1) and pivoting on that column).

I also like your approach @gonhaddock for adding the zero to the left. I’ve done this many times to make sure a sorter works perfect. However, I always did it like this:

join("Year ",reverse(substr(reverse(join(“0”,$Year x$)),0,2)))

The double reverse was a bit of a mindf*ck every time, but was a good workaround for RIGHT(). I’m kinda missing RIGHT() and LEFT() in the string manipulation… Hope this will be added in the future!

1 Like

You are welcome @mldendulk!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.