FTP Connection node error

Hi,

I am trying to use a FTP Connection node to connect to the FTP site (I have host, username, password,port)

When I try that using Chrome/Filezilla/Microsoft Explorer , it works without the problems (see the pics below)

But Knime node keeps saying “permission denied”.

I have never tried the FTP node before so I might be doing something wrong but can’t figure out what exactly.

Thank you for your help!

Magda

chrome

filezilla

ftp

Hi @Magdalena09 -

Strange. Are you able to connect to speedtest.tele2.net? This is an FTP server that I use sometimes for testing. I’m able to connect to it using the FTP connection node, using a username of anonymous and any password.

yep, no problem with that either…

Hmmm. When I try to login to the Canadapost FTP, I either get a timeout error, or “invalid userid/password” (as expected). What I don’t get is the “permission denied” error that you’re seeing.

I can’t think of a reason why this particular FTP would be acting differently than the the Speedtest site, but I’m not a networking pro. I can ask internally.

yes, when I don’t use the userid/password, I also get the “invalid or timeout message”.
I am getting “permission denied” when using the user/password combination.

thank you for asking!

This sounds vaguely like it might be this problem (that it’s trying to do a chdir after a successful login to a parent directory for which you don’t have permissions) FTP Connection - Error (which, for anyone KNIME internal, is AP-11328.)

2 Likes

yes, it might be the same problem. this is what I found in my LOG.

2019-04-16 13:40:31,014 : WARN : SwingWorker-pool-13-thread-2 : TestConnectionDialog$TestWorker : FTP Connection : 3:528 : Couldn’t connect
2019-04-16 13:40:31,014 : DEBUG : SwingWorker-pool-13-thread-2 : TestConnectionDialog$TestWorker : FTP Connection : 3:528 : Couldn’t connect
it.sauronsoftware.ftp4j.FTPException [code=550, message= Permission denied]
at it.sauronsoftware.ftp4j.FTPClient.changeDirectoryUp(FTPClient.java:1672)
at org.knime.base.filehandling.remote.files.FTPConnection.open(FTPConnection.java:116)
at org.knime.base.filehandling.remote.files.RemoteFile.open(RemoteFile.java:126)
at org.knime.base.filehandling.remote.files.RemoteFileFactory.createRemoteFile(RemoteFileFactory.java:137)
at org.knime.base.filehandling.remote.connectioninformation.node.TestConnectionDialog$TestWorker.doInBackgroundWithContext(TestConnectionDialog.java:234)
at org.knime.base.filehandling.remote.connectioninformation.node.TestConnectionDialog$TestWorker.doInBackgroundWithContext(TestConnectionDialog.java:1)
at org.knime.core.util.SwingWorkerWithContext.doInBackground(SwingWorkerWithContext.java:106)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(SwingWorker.java:295)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(SwingWorker.java:334)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

So is this a bug, or is there any solution apart of some kind of work-around (python, etc…)

Yes, that stack trace looks like the same issue - i’ve added this report to the JIRA issue.

There is currently no one working on this bug, so it will probably not be fixed for the impending 3.7.2 release. That unfortunately leaves you in the position of hacking around it via Python or similar :- /

Thanks for the info. Good to know. At least I know what’s happening :smile:

1 Like

Mar 2020 Here to seek for an update.
Thanks!!

Same on accessing with browser / FileZilla / explorer.
But Invalid user/password or permission denied for FTP connection node.

Hi @cyrusl0822 and welcome to the forum.

Sorry for the trouble here - this issue is still open in our ticketing system. Adding a +1 from you to escalate it a bit.

Thanks for following up!
The authentication thing on FTP is quite an important issue…
With the node, it would be much easier for me to “list remote file”, then can do all the works of upload, move and delete stuff…

With r / python language, i find myself not having sufficient knowledge on doing it in variables…

Hi everyone - just to report that I had the same connection timeout issue with the FTP Connection node when testing the connection. I turned on Silent Mode in Norton and everything went fine after that…Cheers!

2 Likes

Hello!

Above mentioned AP-11328 is fixed with KNIME version 4.2.0. so this should be ruled out as a reason for not being able to connect.
https://www.knime.com/changelog-v42

Br,
Ivan

2 Likes