Getting started - question about possibilities

I was just recently assigned to start learning knime a few days to hopefully be able to improve work processes going forward. I am starting to go through the self guided courses provided here on the site. Are there any other resources for getting started that I should be looking at as well?

Also, I had a question about what is possible to do with this platform. The first task I was assigned to help with is essentially just copying data from one spreadsheet to another so it doesn’t have to be done manually. Is that possible on knime? And can anyone give me some advice on how to get started with that?

Thank you in advance for any information!

Hi @christarvin, welcome to the forum.

The first task I was assigned to help with is essentially just copying data from one spreadsheet to another so it doesn’t have to be done manually. Is that possible on knime?

This is quite vague.

To get the most out of the forum, it’s best if you provide more details about your specific use case. Ideally, this would include sample data, examples of your desired output, and a workflow that you’ve been assembling to solve the problem.

As it stands, the answer to your question is, “Sure, it should be possible”. But we can’t provide any specific advice if we don’t know what you’re working with…

Yeah I realized that but I don’t really think I can put the actual file here because of company policy.

So knowing that it is possible, lets just say I had an excel file with information in cell A1. How simple or complex would it be to just copy that same information into cell A1 of a different excel sheet? That’s a very simplistic example but it is essentially what I am trying to accomplish on a bigger scale.

The simplest example would be reading your desired spreadsheet/worksheet from an Excel workbook using an Excel Reader node and then either appending it as a new spreadsheet/worksheet in the same workbook using the Excel Sheet Appender node or creating a new Excel workbook with the Excel Writer node.

Your simplified example of choosing A1 could be accomplished by reading in only column A and row 1, and then using the Excel Sheet Appender node or Excel Writer for export. Would this work on a bigger scale? Maybe, or maybe not, depending on your definition of “bigger” and a host of other details.

And this brings us back to square one of not knowing what exactly it is you’re trying to accomplish.

2 Likes

It is difficult to say what are the possibilities of KNIME since as a platform there are so many

Concerning learning KNIME I have compiled a list that describes different paths to do that based on different formats one might prefer

Then there ist another meta collection about KNIME and Machine Learning if you are interested in that

Then you can do a lot of things with databases - worth another meta collection

And then you can explore the KNIME website and the blog and stuff to see what other people did.

If you are interested in advanced use cases there is the white paper section describing real world business cases.

Or you can see what other people did with KNIME

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.