Grpc call from java snippet

I’m trying to make a grpc call from the java snippet node. The node seems to be running, but nothing will happen. No exception, but no answer too.
If I build the code I’ve written and run it outside of KNIME it works perfectly. I did some testing with wireshark and the TCP conenction sets up just fine, but after the setup the snippet doesn’t send the request to the server, which it strange given there seems to be no exceptions.
I couldn’t find anything about using grpc from KNIME, has anyone done it before successfully? Is there a better way to do it other than a java snippet?
Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @krisz2000

I haven’t worked with gRPC calls before, but it is indeed a weird behavior that the snippet works, but does not in KNIME. Is it possible for you to share a small example, so that I can test locally?
You could also try putting log statements into your code:
logWarn("Text");

Kind regards
Marvin

2 Likes

Hi @krisz2000

did you have the chance to further investigate the java snippet call?

Kind regards
Marvin

Hi @marvin.kickuth
I haven’t tried to investigate any further. I switched to using a python script for gRPC calls, and it works seamlessly. It’s better for my use case as well, because I need to process columns of data at the same time, and as far as I’m concerned this is not possible in the java snippet, without aggregating the columns first.
For testing I think you can do it with the most basic gRPC example. For example this one.

Best regards,
Krisztián

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.