High Sierra and Node Out zip files

The bug in the JDK is that compressed data returned by zlib's `deflateParams()` is being discarded. This results in corrupted compressed data.

Hi,

In Java noob words, how can this fix be applied?

Thanks in advance!

We are currently looking into providing a patched version of KNIME that will circumvent the critical method calls (changing the zip compression level between entries). Give us few more days to put it online.

Hello,

Thanks for the follow-up :)

Kind regards

Bruno

We added the fix to the nightly build that you can get form here. Could someone else test that quickly, too, and then we backport it to 3.4.x.

Thanks.

Hello,

I am performing the test, running 3.4.1 and 3.5 on same data. At this stage, i don't see any bug. And issue seems to be fixed. I have a bunch of big sets of data to work with in the coming day so i will keep you updated.

Many thanks for your work and clear information on all this.

Kind regards

The problem hasn't been fixed for 3.4.1 yet... either the problem has rectified itself (which almost never happens), you didn't run the relevant code path or are screwing up KNIME installations...

You should be able to easily reproduce the problem by just creating a simple workflow, executing it and then saving the executed workflow and reopening it. It should then show an error message.

Does it?

Hello, 

what i was saying: in order to correctly test, I have use same data on 3.4.1 which is not fixed and on the 3.5. Difference is clear : no bug on 3.5 while bug is there on 3.4.1, for both brand new or old workflows. I keep working with 3.5 and if I fin anything I will let you know.

kind regards

Hi Bruno,

Apologies for the confusion! Thanks.

I had an email exchange with Philipp and he confirms the fix also. We'll be back-porting and releasing a 3.4.2 the week after next week.

Cheers,
 Bernd

Is there a chance for a solution for the ZIP problem in the near future? Actually the warning is not very specific and just links to a long list of (seemingly) minor issues with High Sierra. The hint does not say that an update would basically stop KNIME from working on Macs with High Sierra (you can't store any nodes or KNIME tables at all).

Thanks

We released 3.4.2 and this includes some extra code that will bypass the critical system call. This will make saving KNIME workflows slightly slower but it will workaround that problem.

Thanks.