how can i use KNIME invoking somesoftware in windows system

Dear all:

how can i use KNIME invoking some software in windows system? The softwares are installed in the same windows system.

THank you very much

Hi,

You can do this using the "External Tool" node located in the Misc node repository folder, or alternatively using the "External Tool (Labs)" node located in KNIME Labs folder.

With the "External Tool" node, Choose a location for the KNIME table to be saved to first (i.e. in windows/temp etc) in the "input file" box, then enter the directory location in "Execute in Directory" and filename location of the software you wish to run in "Path to executable" along with the location of the saved KNIME table in "Command Line Arguments".  Finally choose an Output filename where the KNIME Table is saved to.

Simon.

HI Simon :

Thank you very much for your timely reply!

I do as you said, however ,it still has a problem.  accroding to the help of "External Tool" node, there is an saying "The input file is NOT automatically transfered into the external tool. You need to specify appropriate command line arguments to read this file with your external tool." So what is used for the node ahead of connecting to the "External Tools", if it was not the input file of external tool

in addition,  how do you set the "External Tool" node? Could you give a screenshot of the setting? incluing the "Execute in Directory" and "input file" box 。 my email is congyingxu@126.com

Thank you very much!

best regards

Hi,

Here is an example which will launch Notepad with the data coming into the "External Tool" Node, you can make changes in Notepad, save it, shut Notepad down, and then the changes are passed out of the "External Tools" node for further manipulation in the workflow.

INPUT FILE TO EXTERNAL TOOL

C:\Windows\Temp\TempList.csv

EXTERNAL TOOL
PATH TO EXECUTABLE:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
EXECUTE IN DIRECTORY:
C:\WINDOWS\system32
COMMANDLINE ARGUMENT:

OUTPUT FILE FROM EXTERNAL TOOL: