HTTPS connections on Intranet with own certificate

Dear KNIMErs,

Just for everyone to make use of (potentially).

I've tried to crawl Intranet pages which use a self-generated certificate, leading to mixed results on the KNIME end: Palladian's HttpRetriever would recover results well and completely, whereas the various File Readers would complain about an SSLHandshakeException (javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target).

So here's a fix for it (also consider the second resolution proposal for further details):

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9619030/resolving-javax-net-ssl-sslhandshakeexception-sun-security-validator-validatore

Note that the keystore default password is "changeit" -- and that KNIME doesn't. :P

After the intervention all File Reader nodes should recover the same content that HttpRetriever does, albeit in the different formats you'd come to expect.

Admittedly it's still a 403 page in my case , but I will hopefully fix this next. :-)

HTH,
E

1 Like