I developed FastLoad and FastExport Nodes for Teradata and am about to share them... BUT...

Hi, how is it going everyone?

So, I have developed two nodes as I mentioned in the title and I would like to share them with the community the right way so everyone could use them… But I stumbled in a licensing issue that maybe you guys could help me solve.

In order to make the plugins work, I need to put Teradata’s JDBC jar file inside them (in the project) and publish them like that (with the jar embedded)…
Thing is… I’m not sure I’m allowed to do that.
According to the license I read on Teradata’s web site, I could if I had their written permission.
This is one way of solving it.

A better workaround would be to somehow make my node read the driver from KNIME’s databases preferences, but I tried it in many ways and couldn’t make it work.
In theory, if I issued something like a call.forName pointing to the jdbc driver, the node should load the classes needed for it to work and do its thing. But it doesn’t work. Maybe it has something to do on how KNIME is build, I don’t know.
Since I’m not a Java expert I may be missing something here.

So I would like to ask for your help. Maybe someone had already solved a problem similar to this, or maybe someone that knows someone could put me in contact with Teradata to talk about the licensing. Don’t know :grinning:

I’ve sent a message to Teradata using one of the forms on their website, but I’m not sure how long it will take for them to get back to me.

Thank you all for your time.
Guilherme Wege Chagas

3 Likes