Insufficient validation of SettingsModelFilterString?

I am not really sure who’s resposibility is the proper validation of the include/exclude list in SettingsModelFilterString. What I see in the validateSettingsForModel(NodeSettingsRO settings) is that is simply gets the include/exclude lists, but does no further checks. The contract of the javadoc I guess satisfied. Though I think the name suggests a bit more. Like checking whether the names are present in include/exclude lists, these are exhaustive. (Actually, my problem can be best described by this use case: someone executes a workflow with my node. Then resets one of the input nodes (changing also the parameter names), and reexecutes the node. Now I would expect to cause configuration problem, but it rises problem at runtime. So should I check some contraints in execute also, or it is enough to check them in configure?)

Just a somewhat related problem, I got this exception after failing my node:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Illegal state CONFIGURED encountered in markForExecution(false).
at org.knime.core.node.workflow.SingleNodeContainer.markForExecution(SingleNodeContainer.java:402)
at org.knime.core.node.workflow.WorkflowManager.markForExecutionAllNodesInWorkflow(WorkflowManager.java:946)
at org.knime.core.node.workflow.WorkflowManager.disableNodeForExecution(WorkflowManager.java:1059)
at org.knime.core.node.workflow.WorkflowManager.disableNodeForExecution(WorkflowManager.java:1042)
at org.knime.core.node.workflow.WorkflowManager.disableNodeForExecution(WorkflowManager.java:1061)
at org.knime.core.node.workflow.WorkflowManager.disableNodeForExecution(WorkflowManager.java:1042)
at org.knime.core.node.workflow.WorkflowManager.disableNodeForExecution(WorkflowManager.java:1055)
at org.knime.core.node.workflow.WorkflowManager.doAfterExecution(WorkflowManager.java:1392)
at org.knime.core.node.workflow.SingleNodeContainer.executeNode(SingleNodeContainer.java:614)
at org.knime.core.node.workflow.SingleNodeContainer.access$1(SingleNodeContainer.java:561)
at org.knime.core.node.workflow.SingleNodeContainer$1.run(SingleNodeContainer.java:446)
at org.knime.core.node.workflow.JobRunnable.run(JobRunnable.java:43)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at org.knime.core.util.ThreadPool$MyFuture.run(ThreadPool.java:98)
at org.knime.core.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:166)

Actually this was really annoying, because I was unable to stop the running of my node (as it is already stopped), I had to shut down KNIME and reconfigure/execute. Do you have any suggestions how to evade this behaviour? Thanks, gabor