Is there Step Loop Execution for Parallel Chunk Start loop? It's greyed out.

Hi, I’d like to inspect my Parallel Chunk Start loop, but Step Loop Execution option is greyed out. Is there another option or setting I can use?
Thank you so much.

Hey @alabamian2,

it works for me. The option is only available if you select the Parallel Chunk Loop End node only.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Best,
Julian

2 Likes

Thank you, @julian.bunzel. I’ve isolated this workflow path for testing and I can execute but not with Step Loop Execution. Are there setup requirements?

Thank you so much for your help.

Hey @alabamian2,

you’re welcome!
Is the loop successfully executing with the standard execution? It seems that you are passing data from inside the loop to other nodes outside of the loop. This will most likely not work since in each iteration of the loop you will probably have different data. So if the loop runs successfully the node connected to another node outside the loop will probably provide only the result of the last loop. I would try not to pass data or variables to other nodes outside of the loop. I guess this could solve your problem. If you want to collect multiple data tables in the loop, you could try to write tables with the Table Writer with a file name that is defined by the chunk and the loop iteration and read all the created tables after the loop finished.

Best,
Julian

1 Like

Hello @julian.bunzel,
OK, thank you so much for kindly explaining the issue. I was assuming that the lower output (that has Missed rows from Get Request) from Get Request Plus will push data in every loop iteration. So, to do what you are suggesting, I will need to make updates inside this Get Request Plus component node made by Mr. @armingrudd? I have never worked on component node creation/edits. Thank you very much again for your guidance.

Hello @alabamian2,
yes, the lower output lists failed Get Requests (per iterations) and as it seems, you try to collect them by writing these failing requests to an Excel File. Which makes totally sense. However, it seems that the first output of the Empty Table Switch is connected to a node that is outside of the loop, right? (I’m just guessing from what I can see on the Screenshot). That might be the issue.

In case you want to change a component, you can right-click it, go to “Component” -> “Unlink component”. This will break the link to the original component and allows you to edit it.

Best,
Julian

2 Likes

Okay, I checked the logs from your other post and it seems that the Excel Writer within your Parallel Chunk Loop makes problems as well. Try to write the data of each iteration to a new file, because otherwise KNIME tries to open the same file in several parallel iterations which is not possible.

Best,
Julian

1 Like

You can only select the ‘Step Loop’ option on the loop end once that node is executable - in your case, you will have to execute the Get Request Plus component first.

Steve

2 Likes

Hello @julian.bunzel,
Thank you so so much for your kind support. I will continue to work on it based on your direction. I’m still new but I love KNIME and truly appreciate the community support!!

Thank you again, @julian.bunzel!!

2 Likes

Hi @julian.bunzel,
OK, that makes sense. I’ll work on resolving it. Thank you again for your help!! Much appreciated!!

Hello @Vernalis,
Yes, now I am able to select Step Loop Execution. Thank you so much again for your help!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.