Java error when using String Manipulation node: Invalid settings: java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.batch.FileSystem$Classpath

I get the above error when trying to use any of the Functions in the String Manipulation node, e.g. toNull(str…)

Other nodes are working OK.

I am using Mac OS X 10.7.5 (Lion) with KNIME 3.5.3.

Previously the node was working, I think the change may have been caused by incrementally updating Knime. I guess probably a clean install might solve this, but just wondering if there is some quicker way to solve it.

I have a memory that a direct install of Knime 3.5 is not ‘possible’ on Lion, so I installed an earlier version (3.2) and then incrementally updated it (according to which nodes I actually needed) - perhaps that is why occasional errors like this are now beginning to appear? Any workarounds, to stay with Knime 3.5?

0 Likes

Found the solution, which is to update one’s Knime more wisely…

If one has old hardware/operating system that is not supported by the latest Knime releases (Mac OS X Lion in my case), one should always tick the option ‘Show only software applicable to target environment’, in the initial window that appears when installing or updating nodes.

Well, first step was to uninstall Knime then do a clean re-install to the latest version that is supported by your (old) hardware/OS (which I found by trial and error to be 3.5). Then install any extra nodes you need, but making sure to tick that box mentioned in paragraph above.

So far that is working… I have a String Manipulation node that works now (i.e. it is a version of the node appropriate to 3.5). Previously I had just allowed the ‘latest’ node to install… which was too advanced for Lion.

1 Like