Knime 4.0 and SQL Server Legacy DB Reader

Hi Tobias, I’ve updated most of my workflows to make use of the new “DB” series of connection nodes. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Tobias,
I have just upgraded to 4.0.1 and my connection to an sql server (using a legacy database connector) still doesn’t work. It worked in KNIME 3.7…
The error message I’m getting says:
"Could not create connection to database: SQL server did not produce a response. The connection has been closed. "

Regards
Philippe

1 Like

Hello Dr_Phil,
I’m sorry to hear that you have problems connecting to SQL Server after upgrading to KNIME 4.0.1. In order to better help you can you give us some more information about your setup.
Do you try to connect to the SQL Server via a SSL secured connection? If this is the case can you please dry the solution mentioned here.
What version of the MS SQL Server do you try to connect to? What driver and version do you use (built-in jTDS or SQL Server driver or a custom registered driver)?
Bye
Tobias

P.s. I have moved your post to this thread which covers this topic.

1 Like

Hi Tobias,
thank you for getting back to me so quickly.
Since posting my question, I have discovered that with KNIME 4.0.1 I can access one SQL server and one SQL server I cannot access. In KNIME 3.7 I can access both. Both use the same node and syntax. My understanding of databases/servers/drivers is too limited to be answer you, but I have since moved back to the older version of KNIME so everything works again. I will liaise with our local database owners to try and resolve this.

Kind regards,
Philippe

Dr Phil - is the SQL server you can address a different MS SQL Server version than the one you cannot address? - CAJ

Hi CAJ,
that is a very good question and that is something I will need to take up with the owners of the databases.
I shall investigate

Try SELECT @@VERSION to check SQL Server version.

1 Like

Hi izaychick63,
that is very helpful
The database I can link to is
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (SP3-CU3-GDR) (KB4505422) - 12.0.6293.0 (X64)
May 25 2019 22:45:08
Copyright © Microsoft Corporation
Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.3 (Build 9600: )

and the one I can’t link to is
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (RTM) - 10.0.1600.22 (Intel X86) Jul 9 2008 14:43:34 Copyright © 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

Hello Dr_Phil,
thanks a lot for the information. According to the Microsoft compatibility matrix version 6.2 of the driver should be compatible with SQL Server 2008. KNIME Analytics Platform comes with version 6.2.2 of the driver for the old db framework which also hasn’t changed for KNIME 4.0. Can you try to download and install an older version of the driver e.g. 6.1 and try if you can then connect to the db.
Did you know that Microsoft has stopped the support for SQL Server 2008 as of last month.
Bye
Tobias

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.